Chapter Thirty-Three | Going Home

The train looked exactly the same as it had when she first boarded it to go to the Capitol. Quinn had seated herself on a couch that ran along the window, from there she could watch things get smaller as they left it. Including the Capitol, the silver buildings that shimmered in the small weren't visable too long before they became too small to see and disappeared from sight. She had changed into a pair of comfortable sweatpants so it would be loose on her leg. She also wore a simply red shirt with her hair in a long fishtail braid again. Her brain was swimming wish thoughts of what Four would be like, she was excited to get home. But she knew it wouldn't feel right if she was there and not in the arena.

She wasn't sitting there because she liked watching everything grow smaler. It was because Finnick had said he'd meet her there, that he'd look for Damien. So every sound that the train made, she thought it was Finnick stepping into the traincar. But everytime, it wasn't him.

Quinn ran her fingers along her pin, she wanted to give it back to Damien. It probably meant more to him than it had to her. She ran her other hand over the bridge of her nose. She could feel the indent where her nose had been filed down to smoothe out a bit. She couldn't believe she had only been out of the arena for twelve hours. She had won the games early in the morning, and then she got on the train to go home that evening...

Which was strange. The sky was still blue, but it was beginning to change with the sunset. She had gotten used to the purple sky and the light that filled the arena in the evening all the way into the morning.

"I thought you would have fallen asleep by now, princess." Quinn turned quickly and looked at Finnick walk into the traincar. "How's your face? That looked pretty painful..."

"You mean when you hit me in the face?" Quinn asked in reply, raising an eyebrow sharply.

He scoffed, "I would have won that fight though if it was one-on-one." he said, his tone wasn't serious. It was the tone he used when he tried to make light of things.

"I wouldn't doubt that." she sighed heavily, "Did you find Damien?"

Finnick was quiet and he remained quiet after he sat down across from her. She could almost see the gears turning in his head as he looked for something to say, or for the right words to say.

"Damien," Finnick started, avoiding look at her for a moment. "He's not...he's not a peacekeeper anymore." he stated, "He's going back to Four to work for the Mayor as an Avox."

"Avox?" Quinn repeated, "You mean...he's an Avox now?" her voice was weak and quiet. She had seen Damien get beaten half to death. She wasn't sure if she was supposed to be happy, sad, or angry-- maybe all three was a good choice.

Finnick nodded, and looked away from her again, "That's not all, Quinn." he stated, "The warehouse is gone in District Four. All the young orphans were sent to Two, the others were all..."

Quinn raised an eyebrow sharply, "Gone? What about Jenson and Rosa?"

"They're all dead, Quinn."

Just like that Quinn felt completely lost. The warehouse had been her home and it was gone. She had put so much time into helping the younger ones get ahead of things. And now they were both gone-- the warehouse was gone, the young ones were gone. And her friends were dead. And she knew why. Because of her, something she did, or everything she said and did got them all killed.

Quinn had absolutely nothing to go home to.