Need Help with your writing? Enter here!

• LetoAtreides
    LetoAtreides
    2 years ago

I am looking to help people with good ideas for a story, who are struggling with how to write it. And to help people in finding ideas for a story. I think alot of people have good ideas and just need a bit of constructive help with it so that is why I have set up this post :)

Feel free to reply or contact me, I have a knack for picking out the problems people need help with and I would prefer to give specific help, rather than leave a generic comment on a story that doesn't really provide much of value.

I have a degree in Philosophy and Sociology, and I have an A Level in English Literature, so I should be qualified to provide a bit of support.

• _BlueDays
    _BlueDays
    2 years ago

@LetoAtreides I need help with showing not telling, I've been struggling with showing the reader and not telling the reader. Help,please!

• LetoAtreides
    LetoAtreides
    2 years ago

@BlueDays A great resource for this is the following exercise in the writers workshop:

http://www.wattpad.com/1893893-writer%27s-workshop-show-don%27t-tell-descriptive

You have to write a short descriptive piece without using any adverbs and very few adjectives. I think that could help you out.

when you use adverbs and adjectives alot its as if you are persuading the reader of things rather than letting them see them for themselves. Have a read of the page and give the exercise a go :)

• bowers15
    bowers15
    2 years ago

@LetoAtreides

I have more trouble with slowing down the story and adding detail. im just not sure how to go about that, because when I write, I dont slow myself down to check for it, I just write what I feel... I don't know if I explained that well.. :( I know your supposed to throw something to catch the reader int he first line to... but im not sure how to start something like that without it being to dramatic... :/ if you don't mind, and are not busy, could you tell me how I can work on that?

• LetoAtreides
    LetoAtreides
    2 years ago

@bowers15 You have to go with it when you have an idea. I know there is a tendency to rush through it and not put in the details. Some writers don't worry about that on the first draft and then they add in some detail and description on a future draft. If you do that you have to be careful not to tamper withh the natural flow to your writing. The best suggestion is to do this at first, and then over time you will learn to put in the most essential details to the flow in the first draft.

It is important in the first line more than anything to hit the ground running. Straight away show your confidence in what you are writing and in the world you are presenting, and this will rub off on the reader who will trust what you are saying.

I hope this helps a bit. Send me a message or email for more advice, or send me an extract from a story as an example and I will look over it :)

• bowers15
    bowers15
    2 years ago

@LetoAtreides

wow thanks, that helps alot! :) I'll try to add it to my first drafts now :) hopefully it becomes easier for me :P

okay... so the first lines should be huge...?? like very important.?

I wrote a short story "Unwanted" and the first part of it is:

I sit up in my tree, everyday and every night. Most of the time I spend up there i'm either sleeping or singing. The house is off limits, and I'm not allowed out of the yard. We have a 10 feet high gate around our property, mom and dad say it's to keep me safe. But even though I'm only 9, I'm not dumb, I know it's so that I can't leave. Even if I wanted to.

is that okay? or should it have been more.... "confident" ? should I have hit the ground running sooner ?? :)

thanks for the advice by the way :D

• LetoAtreides
    LetoAtreides
    2 years ago

@bowers15

I'm glad this has helped you out a bit. Yes, try adding a bit of descriptive detail. If you repeat words or cant quite think of a right word, try consulting a thesaurus also.

As for the story beginning, it seems fine to me. For the story as a whole. It will depend on how well you express it. As long as it is well-written and has an interesting idea to it, the first lines aren't that much more important than the rest. This is why I said to hit the ground running. Don't give the first words a special importance. Don't worry too much about them specifically :)

• bowers15
    bowers15
    2 years ago

:) Ill definitely remember that. you are so so helpful! :D I don't know where you got this wisdom, but if anyone comes to me with questions Ill send them to you, if thats alright?

• LetoAtreides
    LetoAtreides
    2 years ago

Your welcome, I don't know about wisdom lol Yes you can send them to me, I am happy to help out people looking to improve their writing :)

• bowers15
    bowers15
    2 years ago

:) thanks im sure they'll appreciate it too, as much as I did I hope :D

• _BlueDays
    _BlueDays
    2 years ago

@LetoAtreides Do you have any tips or other help than that? It didn't work well for me xD

• ScaryFantasyLover13
    ScaryFantasyLover13
    2 years ago

@LetoAtreides http://www.wattpad.com/story/1192805-secrets-in-the-dark-watty-awards-2012

Here is my horror novel I'm currently working on. I'm not sure if it's good or not or if I should continue. Would you be ever so kind to help me out a little? :)

• LetoAtreides
    LetoAtreides
    2 years ago

@BlueDays Sorry that didnt work for you. Maybe you can put an excerpt of your writing on here to illustrate what you mean about telling rather than showing, and what you think is wrong with it as it is?

It is impossible to avoid telling to some extent. The point is to not tell people when it comes to sensitive or controversial issues. As it might put them off reading. I get that, for instance, if I'm reading a non-fiction science book and its telling me loads of things I don't agree with.

Give me an example from your writing, and I'll see if I can give you more specific feedback :)

• LetoAtreides
    LetoAtreides
    2 years ago

@ScaryFantasyLover13 I'm just going to have a look at it now, I'll get back to you in a bit :)

• LetoAtreides
    LetoAtreides
    2 years ago

@ScaryFantasyLover13 Could I ask, what are your concerns about the story?

• ScaryFantasyLover13
    ScaryFantasyLover13
    2 years ago

@LetoAtreides Hmm well I think that I use the same words too often but I'm not sure. Also I think that it might be a bit consistent with the dialogue and descriptions

• LetoAtreides
    LetoAtreides
    2 years ago

@ScaryFantasyLover13 I like the use of descriptions and dialogue It seems quite balanced to me. I don't see too many repeated words. There are some grammatical issues in a few sentences. For that I would suggest getting an editor to edit your story. There is a club here on Wattpad where you should be able to find an editor.

In the chapter pulled away, it's not advisable to change perspective like that within a chapter, unless it is all done in third person. As you have been first person up to there with one character it does interrupt the flow a bit. There may be a way around it. Think about changing that. Either, a whole, separate chapter from the dad characters perspective, or find a way to get across the information you need to just using first person of the girl character.

Let me know any other concerns you have, although, really it seems fine to me except for those few points I just mentioned :)

Good luck, and keep writing :)

• _BlueDays
    _BlueDays
    2 years ago

@LetoAtreides

I wipe the sweat off my brow before squinting up at the blazing sun. It sure is hot today, I countiune on my way to the upcoming tree where my mentor, June, should be waiting for me by now. June is going to kill me, I'm sure of it. I started off too late but it wasn't my fault, I think cooly. Justin had delayed me he'd danced around me with my sack of mints I'd gotten earlier from the market. They had just came in, smuggled from the city. I cringed at the thought of the city where everyone was contorled like little puppets. Sometimes I wish they'd all been born a rebel like me, then they would be as lucky as me. Well maybe luckier considering my life wasn't all that great.

It's horrible!

• ScaryFantasyLover13
    ScaryFantasyLover13
    2 years ago

@LetoAtreides Thanks a lot for your help! I was really thinking about changing that chapter up as well. And I am not the best with grammar so maybe I should get an editor! :) thank you!

• LetoAtreides
    LetoAtreides
    2 years ago

@BlueDays You say, "it sure is hot", and "I'm sure of it" and "I cringe at the thought of the city where everyone is controlled like puppets" and "but it wasn't my fault" These suggest telling rather than showing. I see the problem you are referring to. Change It sure is hot to something like The heat was oppressive. Do you mean literally a fear that june is going to kill you, if not, you shouldnt say that unless its dialogue. If yes, change to I'm nervous that Jane may try to hurt me. Change controlled like puppets, to I cringed at the thought of the monotonous drawl of the city.

Those are some suggestions for showing rather than telling, I hope this gives you a bit of an idea. They are only suggestions of course. It is your story so you tell it how you want to ultimately :) Hope this helps a bit

• LetoAtreides
    LetoAtreides
    2 years ago

@ScaryFantasyLover13 Your welcome, good luck making the changes :)

• _BlueDays
    _BlueDays
    2 years ago
  • ShakespearsDisciple
    ShakespearsDisciple
    2 years ago

Could I get some help

Everytime I write a story, I start to get long ever lasting writers block and move on to.something else. I dunno what it is, but I.think it is a serious problem. :/

• LetoAtreides
    LetoAtreides
    2 years ago

@ShakespearsDisciple

This problem can be due to a few things. You may be trying to put in too much to your stories too quickly. Writing is a multi-layered activity. One part of your brain gathers some ideas, another part puts them together in to a story. If you put them into a story too quick, the part of your brain gathering ideas can't keep up and you run out of steam. A thing I try to do is get into a routine of writing a certain amount of words each day when working on a story. Some days it will feel great and you will like what you have wrote. Others you won't, but you have to struggle through. In the long run looking back neutrally, you may find both days writing is of a similar quality. By getting into a routine like this there is no longer a rush. You just devote an hour say each day and write what you can. Then during rest of the day the other part of your mind will work in the background gathering more ideas and so you should not run out of steam this way.

This is just a suggestion, You're problem may be of a different nature. Let me know. I have to log off for now, I will try to help more tomorrow :)

• awesomebooks1912
    awesomebooks1912
    2 years ago

Hello there, I'm new on wattpad and I'm struggling! I have a passion on writing and I have so many ideas. And then when I finally want to put them on paper they sound confusing,unclear,stupid and cheesy. I'm writing a vampire novel. I know not another one haha. But I really need help with a solid plot. I feel like I have writers block. Can you pleae check out my story? I also have issues of starting sentences with "she" a lot and I don't know how to fix it. Another problem I have is POVs I can't stick with one. I switch from character to charter and my fans don't really like it I guess. Help pleae read my story and give me advice. http://www.wattpad.com/story/1219187-blood-crazed