I have $0, can I still get published?

• Floatsum
    Floatsum
    2 years ago

I've researched self publishing but I wanna know how to publish with no budget.

• AngusEcrivain
    AngusEcrivain
    2 years ago

@StephanieAnn22

Visit lulu.com... doesn't cost a penny!

• Ctyolene
    Ctyolene
    2 years ago

@StephanieAnn22 You can publish on Amazon without money. Edit your book, design a cover, format to Ammy's specs, upload and there you go.

Don't even think about self-publishing a print book. No-one except a handful of friends and family will buy it, and you have no distribution method. No shops will take it.

If you have an excellent blurb and a good cover, there's a good chance that strangers will take a chance on an unknown author with an e-book.

• RobertLCollins
    RobertLCollins
    2 years ago

@StephanieAnn22 You can do the same at Smashwords, and SW will get you into other online bookstores.

• Floatsum
    Floatsum
    2 years ago

Thanks for the help! I'll have to check those all out! :D

• coyotespublishing
    coyotespublishing
    2 years ago

If I may make a suggestion goto my site: http://CoyotesPublishing.vze.com Click on books, you'll see about 5-7 places that wil allow you to post for free. and much like @RobertLCollins has said, Smashwords is a great place and they're constantly expanding, you can also find me there too

• ErickFlaig
    ErickFlaig
    2 years ago

For the Nook, there's www.pubit.com it's a very similar set up to dtp.amazon.com for the Kindle. Smashwords allows you to opt in or out of any of their partners: Kindle, Nook, Sony, Diesel, and Apple. Smashwords is the only free publishing path to the iPad of which I am aware.

• Ctyolene
    Ctyolene
    2 years ago

@StephanieAnn22 And of course, the point about being published is that people buy your book and you make money.

You won't make a fortune on your first book, but you should make money, not lose it.

• Floatsum
    Floatsum
    2 years ago

Thanks so much! I check them out and will definitely use one of them when I finish my book!!! :)

• Sekkan
    Sekkan
    2 years ago

It doesn't sound like there's any submission control except the need of a credit card.

• Ctyolene
    Ctyolene
    2 years ago

Lots of punctuation errors in the main page of the website, which is never a good sign.

• _MFerrill
    _MFerrill
    2 years ago

It makes me a little sick inside when people treat others so badly. I wish I could delete my post and totally disassociate myself with this entire thread. Sadly I only can edit it.

• LilianOake
    LilianOake
    2 years ago

If you ever want to get known in the publishing world, self-publishing would not be the way. You'd want to do traditional publishing which means getting an agent. None of this costs you a dime but does cost patience, research and a thick skin.

PublishAmerica is 100% one of the WORST routes you can go and will ruin your reputation. Every respectful writing site or publisher will tell you the same thing.

• Ctyolene
    Ctyolene
    2 years ago

Do not go near Publish America! I've just been talking to their executive director at the London Book Fair, and it was hair-raising. There was nothing I could say that would make her reject me. I'll post up more about them shortly, but they are a bad deal.

• Sarah_Kiesling
    Sarah_Kiesling
    2 years ago

@Ctyolene were would you click to get it published on Amazon

• Ctyolene
    Ctyolene
    2 years ago

@SpazMatack47 Getting published on Amazon is relatively easy. They give you instructions on how to format your book and how to upload it.

• Sarah_Kiesling
    Sarah_Kiesling
    2 years ago

@Ctyolene where? Like, where do click or what do you have to click to get it published?

• Ctyolene
    Ctyolene
    2 years ago

@SpazMatack47 Google "Kindle Direct Publishing", and follow the instructions. There is work in it, and it's a waste of time if your book is not immaculately edited, but it's not too bad.

• Miss_Claridad
    Miss_Claridad
    2 years ago

@AngusEcrivain Really? So you mean is you can work on it on computer ? Even without going outside?

• GaryWeston
    GaryWeston
    2 years ago

Hi. Robert Collins is spot on. Go Smashwords. NEVER pay to have a book published.

• Shanniboo402
    Shanniboo402
    2 years ago

@AngusEcrivain if i published my book as an ebook? for lets say 2.00 do i actually get the money?

• AngusEcrivain
    AngusEcrivain
    2 years ago

@Miss_Claridad

I'm not sure I know what you mean.

@Shanniboo402

Whoever you publish through will always take a percentage but yes, you would get a commission.

• Ctyolene
    Ctyolene
    2 years ago

@Shanniboo402 You can upload a book to Amazon for free. However, if it is not properly edited and had a decent cover, it won't sell. If it sells, you'll get the royalties.

• Shanniboo402
    Shanniboo402
    2 years ago

@AngusEcrivain thank you guys :)) @Ctyolene can you give me a link or explain how to upload it to amazon? :D

• Ctyolene
    Ctyolene
    2 years ago

@Shanniboo402 https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/signin And follow the directions. But please, please, please, make sure your book is edited to the highest standards. If there are mistakes, they will jump out at the reader and no-one will buy it. Or worse, they will buy, and then give you a horrible review.

For instance, learn how to use paragraphs, how to spell, and how to punctuate. Get someone to go through your story pointing out all the bits like "If she has her eyes closed, how can she read the letter?"

If you publish the version that is on WP, you will regret it. Once it's out there, it will haunt you for the rest of your life.