Is your sexual orientation a choice?

• Phantasy
    Phantasy
    2 years ago

Did you know that everyone is born Bi? I've forgotten what happens after, but that usually changes. You don't choose who you are attracted to, just like how you can't choose who you love.

And as for the bible as a piece of evidence- it don't think it is valid. For one thing, it was written by humans. I don't think (believe) that "God" told them every single word to write down. Also, translations have always been manipulated to say what the church wants. E.g; God's name in the original text is 'Yahweh', but more recent translations have overided this since Christianity would rather God be referred to as "God". No offence meant to Christians or anything. Just stating my opinions and a few facts.

• BabyDoll55
    BabyDoll55
    2 years ago

is this all about people who arnt straight and saying that they should be ??

• BabyDoll55
    BabyDoll55
    2 years ago

@Phantasy i totally agree with this chick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• LuckyDay
    LuckyDay
    2 years ago

If you're straight, try being gay for a week and see if you can. There's your answer; it's not a choice.

• secretspm
    secretspm
    2 years ago
  • Impossible_Heart
    Impossible_Heart
    2 years ago

@secretspm It makes sense to me.

• secretspm
    secretspm
    2 years ago
  • Impossible_Heart
    Impossible_Heart
    2 years ago

@secretspm I understand it as this: I asked if your sexual orientation is a choice, this also applies to hetrosexual people. (I didn't ask if being homosexual was a choice). So when LuckyDay askes that she is trying to show you that strait people can't chose to be homosexual.

• secretspm
    secretspm
    2 years ago

@BlainevanRensburg this doesn't make any sense to me, anyway I wish to not get involved in this as no one will be convinced from either side.

• LuckyDay
    LuckyDay
    2 years ago

@secretspm It doesn't make any sense to you because that kind of choice doesn't make sense, period. The idea of choosing your sexual orientation doesn't make sense.

• secretspm
    secretspm
    2 years ago

@LuckyDay I actually meant your reasoning, anyway as I said, I'd rather stay out of this. I made a mistake posting on here.

• thatstheway
    thatstheway
    2 years ago

@Phantasy My point exactly! also even if you take the bible literally a piece of writing can be interpurted and taken different ways. No one knows what the original authors/ God meant do they? So how can the piece of evidence be valid?

• Jacob_Acaryn
    Jacob_Acaryn
    2 years ago

I do apologize for my previous comment. I might have gone on a rant...a little. I do have Christian friends, and I do my best to respect what they believe in. But for centuries Christianity has done nothing but hurt people. I can't say it's easy to respect a religion that is full of hate.

• PassionInFlames
    PassionInFlames
    2 years ago

No. Sexual oreintation is not a choice. That's like saying being born with blue eyes is a choice-you can buy color contacts to cover them up, but underneath your eyes will always be blue. You can pretend to be hetereo or homosexual for personal reasons, but underneath your attractions are a natural occurance and cannot be changed. As for all the people saying 'The bible says it wrong, satan, blah blah' Believe in god. That's cool, go ahead. But pretending homosexuality is wrong becuase the bible says so is disgusting. Do you know what else the bible says is wrong? Eating lobsters. Working on Sundays. NOT beating your children. I'm sure everyone on here has done something against the bible, but will never get the disrespect homosexuals do. It is NOT a choice.

• afumblez
    afumblez
    2 years ago

@PassionInFlames YES Someone who knows what they are talking about!!!

• GhostOfTheIceberg
    GhostOfTheIceberg
    2 years ago

Of course it's not.

But, my theory is that somewhere in the world, there is a girl made for everyone, and a guy made for everyone. Sexuality just depends on who they meet.

Also, I think the human race overall is Bi. After all,if your let's say, a straight girl, imagine that all the guys in the world disappear. What do you think would happen?

• somethingpositive
    somethingpositive
    2 years ago

we like who we like, we love who we love, and we fuq who we fuq. Who gives a shit if its a chioce or not. Were human and were going to keep doing what we want no matter what so all those other things that supposedly come into the equation shouldnt matter. I mean you can give me a million different reasons as to why i like boys or why i like girls but at the end of the day i am stil going to like chicks and dicks....anyone get what im trying to say?

• GhostOfTheIceberg
    GhostOfTheIceberg
    2 years ago

@Hardy_Boyz How do you think legalizing gay marriage would suddenly change all the laws and stuff? Because last time I checked, marriage was about people who love each other vowing to love each other forever. Also, if you "know your facts" you should also know that same-sex marriage has a lower divorce rate.

• afumblez
    afumblez
    2 years ago

@TheMagister i believe its because people are just afraid of change.

• _ForkedTongues
    _ForkedTongues
    2 years ago

@BlainevanRensburg To me it's a choice.

But It actually varies. Sometimes it's a choice. There are many people who just experiment, you know? But sometimes it's genetic. You can't really say 'Oh, it is a choice' or 'it isn't one' because we're people and due to that fact, all of us are different. Some may choose to be gay or bi or heterosexual, since they are socialized into that. Some may feel the way they do due to their genetic make up.

• Impossible_Heart
    Impossible_Heart
    2 years ago

@ImBatman420 I completely agree. May I ask what you chose?

• NoLuckXe
    NoLuckXe
    2 years ago

Okay imagine growing up in a household where they were religious and dispised homosexuals, you would have been raised to see it as wrong, now lets say you were brought up by either homosexuals, transgender, bisexual all those kinda things (sorry if i've missed some out) but anyway if you were brought up by those kinda people you'd see it as normal and wouldn't care. well yes you can still be brought up by a homophobic family and be homosexual same with you can be brought up by all those other orientations and be a different one. i mean maybe my opinions this way because im transgender and my step sisters bisexual and cause most of my friends arn't straight. i don't know. but this is my true opinion, i mean god says everyones equal right? it's illegal to discriminate against genders and races so why does everyone still discriminate orientation? isn't that itself going against god?

• Jacob_Acaryn
    Jacob_Acaryn
    2 years ago

If you say it is a choice, then you must have considered it. You must have thought at one point, "Hmmm...I wanna have sex with another man/woman!" Or something relating to you preforming some kind of considerably homosexual act. Otherwise, how would you know?

• Jacob_Acaryn
    Jacob_Acaryn
    2 years ago

And also think of this- 90-95% of the men in Ancient Greece were homosexual. Why? They were raised around only other guys. During puberty, your sexuality is defined.

• Jacob_Acaryn
    Jacob_Acaryn
    2 years ago

AND (I know, should have put this all in one comment), I'm not sure, but I don't think the Bible says it's a choice. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it only says it is wrong. Doesn't say anything about it being a choice. Of course, there are so many versions of the bible, I wouldn't know for sure.