Jane Austen or The Bronte Sisters?

• miss_a
    miss_a
    3 years ago

Vote one of two of the most influential authors in literature who you favor more...

Today's poll: Jane Austen or The Bronte Sisters, separately known as Emily and Charlotte Bronte!

• ChangingDAYS
    ChangingDAYS
    3 years ago

thats a hard one!! but i would have to go with Austen just because she has more books, and you cant get better than pride and prejudice

• _xstardustlife
    _xstardustlife
    3 years ago

The Bronte Sisters. Jane Austen, in most of her books, in some way or another, involve English aristocracy. The Bronte Sisters have their own appeal in their separate novels.

• vintagebellagirl
    vintagebellagirl
    3 years ago

I can't seperate who I like more, though Austen did write my all time favorite Novel Northanger Abbey. All three are writers of their own class, I just couldn't pick I love them all.

• Eloquent
    Eloquent
    3 years ago

Jane Eyre is the only novel I have read by Charlotte Bronte and it is very good. I am casting my vote on Austen, though, simply because of Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility. I must read Wuthering Heights.

• _unreading
    _unreading
    3 years ago

Jane Austen all the way!!! Bronte are cool too Tough choice

• vintagebellagirl
    vintagebellagirl
    3 years ago

@Eloquent defiantly read wuthering heights its a gripping classic!

• _peacelovelee
    _peacelovelee
    3 years ago

I love them both I can't choose, lolololol. So seriously they are both really really great!!!

• Clairevoyant
    Clairevoyant
    3 years ago

@vintagebellagirl I'm surprised that Northanger Abbey is your favourite novel, since it is usually remarked to be Austen's least popular work. I read it a few months ago and I still can't decide whether I like it or not...

For the discussion, though, Jane Austen all the way! I have a sick obsession with Pride and Prejudice. I own at least 5 different copies of the novel, and four other related books... Sad, I know.

• vintagebellagirl
    vintagebellagirl
    3 years ago

@Clairevoyant I'm a lot like Katherine it's why I relate to it, when I was younger I was known to exagerate and live in a fantasy world like she does. Books where my escape like hers.

I read a few years ago I read a modern take on Northanger Abbey which put the points Austin was trying to suggest a lot clearer and so in rereading Northanger Abbey I got the story Austin was trying to convey.

• Clairevoyant
    Clairevoyant
    3 years ago

@vintagebellagirl Do you remember the name of the book? I might give it a go :)

• vintagebellagirl
    vintagebellagirl
    3 years ago

@Clairevoyant i cant remeber the title but i can give you a gist of the blurb lol then you could look for it.

The girl is called Catherine Morland like in Northanger Abbey except it's about Catherine being invited to Italy which the character that is mr. Tinlesy sister. Most names i think were changed in it. Anyway in Italy the story unfolds like with Austin's happening at Northanger abby.

I'm sorry I forgot the title! if I remeber it will tell oyu asap.

• Clairevoyant
    Clairevoyant
    3 years ago

@vintagebellagirl Thank you! I'll probably be able to find it from that description :) I'll check it out and tell you what I think!

• vintagebellagirl
    vintagebellagirl
    3 years ago

@Clairevoyant it was a great read i found it to be, and its a great plot. enjoy :D

• Licketysplit07
    Licketysplit07
    3 years ago

This would be a much harder decision if the Bronte sister would have been split up for me. I didn't care for Jane Eyre and found it hard to get past Mr. Rochester hiding Bertha in the attic while preparing to marry Jane. Wuthering Heights however, I ate up in less than 3 days although I can't pinpoint any particular reason why I loved it so much. It might have been that I couldn't decide whether to sympathize with Heathcliff or to hate him. The fact that Jane Austen does have such a larger list of books makes the question harder to answer. Her books are wonderful because every chapter and paragraph and sentence is needed. If I had to edit them, I would not take out a single word because they are so well created. But in the end, my answer has to be Jane Austen because I will not vote for Charlotte Bronte's novel.

• Clairevoyant
    Clairevoyant
    3 years ago

@Licketysplit07 I'm still attempting to wade through Jane Eyre at the moment... It really isn't going all that well, but I have to finish it!

And @vintagebellagirl, I've searched, googled and raided amazon, but I still can't find it. I'll just have to keep an eye out :(

• Licketysplit07
    Licketysplit07
    3 years ago

One thing I did like about Jane Eyre was Charlotte's way of involving you in the story. I loved the little moments where she would speak specifically to me with those "Dear Reader" phrases. It makes the book more personal. So even though I didn't like the story, I appreciated her technique. So you should definitely finish the book!

• Clairevoyant
    Clairevoyant
    3 years ago

@Licketysplit07 I know, I just feel like I have to push past a certain point... Got to keep the drive ;D

• vintagebellagirl
    vintagebellagirl
    3 years ago

@Clairevoyant I'll go see if I can find it at one of my local libaries and maybe lookign together we might have luck :D

• Clairevoyant
    Clairevoyant
    3 years ago

@vintagebellagirl Aw, thank you! :)

• vintagebellagirl
    vintagebellagirl
    3 years ago
  • _absentmindedme
    _absentmindedme
    2 years ago

BRONTE SISTERS FOR LIFE!

• AemiJules
    AemiJules
    2 years ago

Why are we forgetting Anne Bronte? I absolutely love The Tenant of Wildfell Hall!

Bronte sisters!

• TheEscapist
    TheEscapist
    2 years ago

Most definetly the Bronte sisters :D

• _absentmindedme
    _absentmindedme
    2 years ago

@AemiJules IS that really good? I have a collection of all the bronte sister books and stuff. Are they anygood?