Do you think a person can be a Christian and believe in evolution?

• Yendys_Stine
    Yendys_Stine
    8 months ago

Please reply with your response

• _Hopelessly_Addicted
    _Hopelessly_Addicted
    8 months ago

Nope. I don't think you can be a Christian and believe in evolution. If you're a Christian that means you believe that God created the world. The world is not a billion or a million years old. It's only in its thousands.

• _cillabeth_
    _cillabeth_
    8 months ago

depends on what kind. obviously a Christian is someone who believes in God and that His son died on the cross, three days later rose from the grave. also they believe that God created the earth and everything surrounding it in 6 days, rested on the 7th. can't pick and choose what parts of the Bible to listen to. so to answer your q, no, not MACROevolution, otherwise known as darwinian evolution. aka, we came from monkeys. but you can be a Christian and believe in MICROevolution, meaning that small changes in species have occurred over time, but within their own DNA set. @snr5557

• Yendys_Stine
    Yendys_Stine
    8 months ago

Do you think for the past 100 or so years scientists have been lying? Or that there is a giant conspiracy? @Hopelessly_Addicted

• _Hopelessly_Addicted
    _Hopelessly_Addicted
    8 months ago

@snr5557 Evolution is false. So yes. God made the world. We didn't come from monkeys or fish. That is a lie. We come from Adam and Eve. That is truth.

• _Hopelessly_Addicted
    _Hopelessly_Addicted
    8 months ago

@snr5557 People want to believe that the world comes from something other than God because they don't want to believe.

• _cillabeth_
    _cillabeth_
    8 months ago

let me ask you something.. has macroevolution actually been proven? no. it's still technically a theory. they can't prove it, whereas with gravity you've got the whole we're not falling off the earth thing. @snr5557

• Yendys_Stine
    Yendys_Stine
    8 months ago

@Hopelessly_Addicted

That's not the reason for evolution. In fact, Charles Darwin was in the process of becoming a priest. Back then, priests had to study nature because they believed that studying the world around them was a way of studying God. He came up with his theory while travelling around to study nature.

• Yendys_Stine
    Yendys_Stine
    8 months ago

So, what would you say to the evidence that people have found? Do you think God put it on the Earth to deceive people? Some people do claim that. @Hopelessly_Addicted

• _Hopelessly_Addicted
    _Hopelessly_Addicted
    8 months ago

@snr5557 God gives us choices. To either turn to the world or turn to Him. He wants us to come to Him but he gives us a choice. He does not deceive us. That is the devil doing that. Everything evil and bad comes from Satan.

• _Hopelessly_Addicted
    _Hopelessly_Addicted
    8 months ago

@snr5557 So you say you're a Christian yet you believe that God in fact did not make the world?

• _cillabeth_
    _cillabeth_
    8 months ago

that's just it. "he came up with it." so you're going to base your life and belief system (whatever it may be, i'm not sure, but i'm assuming since you apparently feel so passionately about this that you have..) off of something that one man came up with himself while travelling around? @snr5557

• Yendys_Stine
    Yendys_Stine
    8 months ago

@_youarespectacular_

Here's the thing about all theories, including the theory of gravity, you can't prove them beyond all doubt. There are actually physicists who think that gravity is something that we have constructed in our minds to explain things. I would do a poor job of explaining it, so I'll find the link to it.

But if you are going to throw out evolution because it is a theory, then you must also throw out almost all of science as well.

• Yendys_Stine
    Yendys_Stine
    8 months ago

@Hopelessly_Addicted

When did I say God did not create the world? I believe He created it so that it would make sense. I remember on this one site I was on that explained it beautifully, although I am 95% sure he's a creationist

"Why does a musician play? Why does an artist paint? Why does an athlete compete? I think it has something to do with God's own self-expression of his power, brilliance, goodness, creativity and love. "

The way the world is ordered is so delightfully complex. This world, as crazy and messy as it is, is beautiful and awe inspiring.

• _cillabeth_
    _cillabeth_
    8 months ago

@snr5557 um, no. people can see DNA and the way it's constructed. you're going to look at all of the programming that has to go into that - heck, you're going to look at the intricacy of a tree and say that that happened by accident?

i understand what you're saying about theories. but honestly.. the universe is expanding by the minute. your heart keeps beating on its own... you didn't have anyone teach you that, you didn't have anyone show you how to breathe, you didn't have anyone say, "hey, this is how you make your nerves move specifically to move your fingers to type this out" and yet, you're doing it simply because it's "instinct." who taught the spiders how to thread a web? what about the art in the sky every night... the pictures in the stars? heck, how does an animal know how to have sex? automatic answer is instincts and drives but really, where do they originate? logic says that something cannot just come from nothing.

i really want to know, though, how you think it all came about. if it really was evolution, where did the first cell come from that exploded? where did the gases come from? if you say "oh they were just always randomly there," then you really can't argue my or anyone's logic in saying that God has always been there and he crafted the whole universe out of love.

• Yendys_Stine
    Yendys_Stine
    8 months ago

@_youarespectacular_

Not just one man, many scientists have found evidence for and tested evolution. Both macro and micro.

• _Hopelessly_Addicted
    _Hopelessly_Addicted
    8 months ago

@snr5557 I am glad that you believe that. But why were you defending evolution so much. I thought you believed in it.

• Yendys_Stine
    Yendys_Stine
    8 months ago

@Hopelessly_Addicted

KaylaAlexisK wanted a debate, so I made one.

• _Hopelessly_Addicted
    _Hopelessly_Addicted
    8 months ago

@snr5557 Ohh I know her. She really knows her stuff. :)

• Yendys_Stine
    Yendys_Stine
    8 months ago

@_youarespectacular_

"i really want to know, though, how you think it all came about. if it really was evolution, where did the first cell come from that exploded?"

-this is called chemical evolution:

"The formation of complex organic molecules from simpler inorganic molecules through chemical reactions in the oceans during the early history of the Earth; the first step in the development of life on this planet. The period of chemical evolution lasted less than a billion years."

I am still learning the details about chemical evolution, so sadly I will not be able to go into much detail.

" where did the gases come from? if you say "oh they were just always randomly there,"

-again that is the Big Band Theory in how the universe came into existence, evolution is the theory of how we got all of these different species.

"then you really can't argue my or anyone's logic in saying that God has always been there and he crafted the whole universe out of love."

- I never said He didn't

• Yendys_Stine
    Yendys_Stine
    8 months ago

@_youarespectacular_

"um, no. people can see DNA and the way it's constructed."

- I never said you couldn't

" you're going to look at all of the programming that has to go into that - heck, you're going to look at the intricacy of a tree and say that that happened by accident?"

- I know it must be hard to swallow since life is so amazing, but it's true

"i understand what you're saying about theories. but honestly.. the universe is expanding by the minute."

-what does this have to do with evolution on Earth?

"your heart keeps beating on its own... you didn't have anyone teach you that, you didn't have anyone show you how to breathe, you didn't have anyone say, "hey, this is how you make your nerves move specifically to move your fingers to type this out" and yet, you're doing it simply because it's "instinct." who taught the spiders how to thread a web? what about the art in the sky every night... the pictures in the stars? heck, how does an animal know how to have sex? automatic answer is instincts and drives but really, where do they originate? logic says that something cannot just come from nothing."

- Technically, the scientific standpoint on the origin of everything is the Big Bang Theory (not the show, the actual theory). Evolution deals with the creation of different species.

• Multijoys
    Multijoys
    8 months ago

@snr5557 Debates can be fun :). I once caught a bit about Noah's Ark. Can't remember who, guy said there only needed one cat-type. Lions, tigers, etc breed from that. Same with other animals. Makes sense if you compare a wolf hound to a Chihuahua.

• Yendys_Stine
    Yendys_Stine
    8 months ago

Here's that link to the gravity thing if anyone is interested:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/13/science/13gravity.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

• Multijoys
    Multijoys
    8 months ago

Also read an article in Time or Newsweek maybe, couple years ago, that said many scientists no longer believe that random evolution makes sense.

• _cillabeth_
    _cillabeth_
    8 months ago

@snr5557

""i understand what you're saying about theories. but honestly.. the universe is expanding by the minute."

-what does this have to do with evolution on Earth?"

everything. because i'm asking you if evolution were in fact true, how do you explain the existence of other planets, much more the whole of the universe?

"Technically, the scientific standpoint on the origin of everything is the Big Bang Theory (not the show, the actual theory). Evolution deals with the creation of different species."

yes. i know. that is what this whole discussion is about. that is what i'm asking you about. how did the big bang occur? what went bang? (ha ha ha) and where did that stuff come from?

@Multijoys what you're talking about is microevolution, which is a proven thing. animals can evolve within their own DNA set. a cat is a cat is a cat is a cat. i'm not sure where i stand on the whole "one type of cat on the ark" thing, but i could see that. i do believe in microevolution, its just that a monkey is a monkey is a monkey. a monkey is not and does not have the capability within its DNA set to change into a human with all of our capabilities. it could, however, change into a different kind of monkey over time with small differences from the original, such as size, colour, etc, etc. not sure if thats what you were saying or not but... haha. :)