-

• Ersay1979
    Ersay1979
    11 months ago

the-fifth-estate-uk-poster.jpg

tumblr_inline_mkhni7R5DS1qz4rgp.gif

Watch The Fifth Estate Online Free (2013) or Download The Fifth Estate Movie Now. Over the weeks leading up to the Toronto International Film Festival, I've been asked repeatedly about the choice of this film as an opening Gala. Many have questions whether the opening film somehow speaks to a great theme at the fest, as if a single title can speak for the hundreds of films from all over the world that descend into this city for this pretty remarkable festival. Over the last couple of years, they've shown pretty miserable films about Darwin, but also interesting docs about the band U2 as well as last year's Looper, a film that ended up being my favourite for the entire year, period.

Download The Fifth Estate Movie Free (2013) or Watch The Fifth Estate Online Now. So, does choosing a film about Wikileaks founder Julian Assange say something about the current state of international cinema? Well, no, not really. Nor, unfortunately, does the film particularly assist with the debate about this new form of journalism and/or treason, depending on whom you side with. It's also worth noting that the title of the film may be particularly amusing for generations of Canadians who have grown up with a CBC television programme of the same name - I'm sure I was not alone when I thought for a very brief moment that an investigative television show that's been on our national broadcaster for almost 40 seasons was somehow co-opting the black tie opening slot.

• Ersay1979
    Ersay1979
    11 months ago

Watch The Fifth Estate Online Free (2013) or Download The Fifth Estate Movie Now. Nerdy, yes, but also lazy and frankly inexcusable. This isn't quite the "Unix, I know this!" from Jurassic Park, or Sandy Bullock traipsing through 1995's The Net, but we shouldn't have to see Matrix-like desks with batches of Cumberbatch in order to visually represent how computer networks operate. There's loads of inherent drama in a story that's shirked off to brief asides or foggy flashbacks, while the more bureaucratic elements such as story meetings at a newsroom are treated with a somber-scored gravitas normally reserved for invasion talk in the White House situation room.

Download The Fifth Estate Movie Free (2013) or Watch The Fifth Estate Online Now. Still, I'm over-thinking this film that frankly doesn't particularly warrant it. The Fifth Estate proves little more than a showcase for the acting talents of a supreme mime in the form of the lanky Cumberbatch, and despite some florid and at times annoying flourishes, Condon manages to showcase enough of this performer in a positive and compelling enough way that it's sure to get its share of attention come awards season.

• Ersay1979
    Ersay1979
    11 months ago

Watch The Fifth Estate Online Free (2013) or Download The Fifth Estate Movie Now. The real draw for the film isn't the drama surrounding it but the enticing and almost albino-like visage of Benedict Cumberbatch railing in an Aussie accent about truth, justice, and the "mainstream media". If casting accomplishes much of the heavy lifting of any good work, then Bill Condon at least did this part right. Cumberbatch is excellent as always, making even the most awkward of prose presentable within the context of the narrative. It took a while for me to accept Daniel Brühl with a beard, but he too does an admirable job in an even more structured role, his character often providing little more than emotional beats or expositional narration.

Download The Fifth Estate Movie Free (2013) or Watch The Fifth Estate Online Now. I admit it's unfair to completely slam a film that tries to speak to both the masses and those that had actually heard of the site before the Manning files were released, but the film's visualization of data, of networks, even of so-called "hacking" seems already patently dated. I can't provide better ways that such elements can be incorporated, except to say that in David Fincher's The Social Network the mileua of the desperate and sleep deprived programmer seemed mildly believable, whereas here I simply couldn't suspend disbelief when talk turned to FFMpeg and Final Cut as a way to enhance images, while they're sitting in front of Dell machines, some running Windows XP.

This discussion has been closed.
← All Discussions