If you could change wattpad, what would you change?

• Rosielaurel
    Rosielaurel
    1 year ago

I'd like to see one direction and celebrity stuff in their own genre, in order to encourage more mature writers to join this site and expand the range of quality writing.

What would be wonderful would be some quality bars on each story where you can vote for a great story, but you could also have bars for great plot, good grammar etc.

I agree subgenres would be great. Like in the spiritual category, and I know it's one of the smaller categories, but it's basically a mish-mash of paranormal, spiritual as of the heart, religious stories, and religious writings etc. Me I think of religious as Christianity, but this spans every religion out there and if one wants to read something from their own religious beliefs, you must wade through all the different subgenres and subgenres of subgenres to find what you'd like. The biodiversity is great in order to facilitate respect and understanding of different people's religions, it's just hard to find what you want to read.

An idea would be to set up thread asking people for all the different genres they think would be good and then have people vote on each genre, that they like. Anything that shows promise or is popular could be made a genre. It would be interesting just for research purposes. The thing is that if there is more genres or subgenres it would encourage more writers out there to put there stuff on here which would be great for everyone.

And last but not least, I'd like to thank all those at Wattpad for all the hard work they've put in to make this site as good as it is today. I know all the ideas we brain storm would require even more hard work to make them happen and you guys are working hard to maintain and make this site better all the time. And I hope we as the user can give you some great ideas! Wattpad has given me a fun platform to write and get to know other writers. Thanks!

• Rosielaurel
    Rosielaurel
    1 year ago

@KirstieJessica Hmm, I wish Wattpad had bookmarks too!

• ECole789
    ECole789
    1 year ago

Remove that green dot thing…telling others when you might be online OR allow the user the option to activate and deactivate it.

There should be a sister site for FanFiction…there so much of it.

More main and sub genres.

Ability to upload pictures and sound clips in stories directly from your computer or other device instead of using a website link, which is the way it is currently set up.

Fix the looping issue on your wattpad.com/home page.

Improve the formatting options including font color and style, especially where poetry is concerned.

Ability to remove a book/piece without deleting it permanently from your account (helpful for reworking pieces).

Bring back the share your story club.

Maybe an advertising club for those wanting to advertise their services.

Faster turnover of votes.

Will be back if I think of anything else… :o)

• MS_Chavez
    MS_Chavez
    1 year ago

@ECole789 The green dot can be removed. Go edit your profile and mark the 'appear of offline box'

As for the ability to remove a book without deleting, I like that as well. I can be done now, but you have to submit a ticket and wait for the staff to change it to private for you.

Looping issue? What do you mean?

As for formatting issues on poetry, I agree with some of it. But the moment you allow too much formatting freedom, it can be a real mess. People will use hot pink text in 30 point size in some illegible font. Guaranteed. :)

I LOVE the idea bout the service advertising forum. Finding a critic, editor or beta reader is very restricted as it is now in the "Improve your writing club" It would take a good amount of moderating, though, to keep it from becoming another mess of vote for vote threads like the SYS club became.

• Multijoys
    Multijoys
    1 year ago

Another great idea- let us scroll through our discussions instead of limiting us to the ten we see.

Also, another new unannounced WP change- I am on my phone and WP keeps asking if I want to download the app. I have the app. I tried accessing the threads through the app, EVERY NEW PAGE I am asked if I want to download the app. Annoying!!! @dreamingthought

• Incompatible_
    Incompatible_
    1 year ago
  • MS_Chavez
    MS_Chavez
    1 year ago

@lizzierawrz A chat bar that used to be hosted (i think) by google. Google discontinued it so Wattpad lost the functionality of instant messaging and alerts. A lot of people liked it, some had a love-hate relationship with it. Others are glad its gone.

Personally, I miss it because it made it easier to chat with folks who were online, privately.

But its gone now, so *shrugs* oh well.

• Incompatible_
    Incompatible_
    1 year ago

Isn't that like pm @dreamingthought

• MS_Chavez
    MS_Chavez
    1 year ago

@Rosielaurel I love that, the idea of options for different qualities of a story.

If we could rank for grammar, style, plot, characterization, etc, that would mean, hypothetically, someone could also SEARCH by stories that rank high in characterization, or perfect grammar, or what ever it is that matters to you in a Wattpad story. And by seeing that ranking, you'd know ahead of time if you're likely to be heading into story that has amazing characters, but lots of grammar mistakes. Or vise versa. :)

In agreement with the subgenres issue as well. SO MANY good stories are so buried in the rankings. I get fed up browsing through the top of the lists because they're all the same stuff. I like specific sub genres, and hunting for them can be so frustrating if I have to dig through 50 fantasy romances, epic/high fantasy or YA fantasy to find the style of urban fantasy or original fairy tale story I prefer. Or better yet, hunting through the short stories for things that are actually short stories rather than novels or half finished novels.

You know what I've found works amazingly well? Go to the category that suites your interests best, such as Paranomal and then Non-Teen Fiction, then browse through the bottom of the 'what's hot list' a lot of good stuff is hidden at the bottom of the lists. Stuff that's written by mature writers who don't necessarily have the time to do all the promoting needed to get noticed, or don't write in an uber popular style.

And i know saying it gets old, but i found so many good writers through the SYS club. i'd through a post out there asking for a specific subgenre, and sometimes I'd get a bunch of stuff i didn't care for, but I found some of my favorite writers that way. They'd see my post asking for 'urban fantasy' or "dark fantasy" and leave a link. It was awesome.

• MS_Chavez
    MS_Chavez
    1 year ago

@lizzierawrz lol. no, it's more like a private chat room. its instant messaging right on screen. Like on Facebook, how there's a little chat dialog box that comes up when you and someone you're talking to are online at the same time and you can chat real time.

PMs aren't instant.

• TheOrangutan
    TheOrangutan
    1 year ago

@Multijoys - that one's a glitch I'm afraid and the tech team are on it

• Bittersweet_Rose
    Bittersweet_Rose
    1 year ago

@Rosielaurel I would love to know a way to get wattpad to split celebrity fiction away from fan fiction.

I also want to know why notifications for the conversations in the clubs are no longer sent when they are updated.

• Rosielaurel
    Rosielaurel
    1 year ago

@Bittersweet_Rose That is what I was thinking too. If you could subdivide the fanfiction into pop fiction and real fanfiction of Narnia, Lord of the Rings etc. it would make a huge difference.

@dreamingthought I'd love to have those bars re: quality etc. because it would help me improve my own work and I would know what to expect in a story. I've never done much advertising. Perhaps I should do more. I know how hidden good stories are. I stumble across one every now and then.

• KirstieJessica
    KirstieJessica
    1 year ago

Perhaps a search option in the clubs? Or maybe it would be useless... Or maybe it would cause chaos... But sometimes I wish I could search a certain club for old discussions on a topic.

• MS_Chavez
    MS_Chavez
    1 year ago

@KirstieJessica totally. That way people could look up old topics for answers instead of asking the same questions over and over again.

There's plenty of times when I want to follow a topic, but not subscribe because I dont want to get all the notices when people reply, but I do like to browse it or go back to it on a regular basis.

• idet843
    idet843
    1 year ago

I just had another hard time trying to post a chapter to a story. I would love to see better formatting tools on this site. Different fonts are really necessary. Why not allow small avatars or symbols when posting a Chapter numbers..

Also when copying, editing or typing your story can we get the scroll to the top button or arrow within the page. @idet843

• Whyiseveryonetaken
    Whyiseveryonetaken
    1 year ago

I would love to see role-playing get put back in the spotlight. I miss those "Chat as your character!" Threads...

• MS_Chavez
    MS_Chavez
    1 year ago

@Whyiseveryonetaken I thought Role-Playing was banned last year. I admit, it would be good if there was a forum dedicated to that sort of activity, but as it is, I know that Role-Playing and games have a tendency to flood the forums. You could always try out Gaia. That site focuses on RPing.

• vertigo_
    vertigo_
    11 months ago

I'd add in bookmarks and bring back the meebo bar. It's inconvenient to keep refreshing your news feed when you could be doing something more useful like writing or reading.

• deathofcool
    deathofcool
    11 months ago

@Dat_Awesome_Gal Meebo shut down the Meebo bar not Wattpad. I used to use it on a couple of my websites and was heartbroken when it was discontinued. Now, as it turns out, the best alternative to it that I was able to find is being shut down at the end of December too. Seems like website bars are dying.

• EmotionlessMe
    EmotionlessMe
    11 months ago

While this is never going to happen, could we ban fan-fiction? At least the ones involving One Direction or at least the one's that are beyond, for lack of a better word, stupid! @dreamingthought

• TheOrangutan
    TheOrangutan
    11 months ago

@EmotionlessMe - Fan Fic is a viable genre, and who decides what's stupid? One of the best books I ever read was a Fan Fic, Night of the Triffids by Simon Clark (who's on Wattpad by the way). It was a sequel to Day of the Triffids by Wyndham.

50 Shades of Grey started as a Fan Fic too, and while it's not my favourite piece of literature, it seems to have sold a few copies here and there.

Many of the folk writing Fan Fic on here are just starting out. Who knows what they may become some day if they're given the chance to write 'stupid' stuff first.

• EmotionlessMe
    EmotionlessMe
    11 months ago

Excuse me if I've offended anyone but I was referring to certain fan-fics on One Direction. While I believe that everyone on Wattpad is a budding author, some fan-fics are just plain offensive and the people writing them even more so. I refuse to name anyone but have you seen some of the stories in that genre? And not to mention all the 1D arguments in The Cafe.

While it is not in my position to label a work stupid I am allowed an opinion, aren't I? @TheOrangutan

• TheOrangutan
    TheOrangutan
    11 months ago

@EmotionlessMe - of course you're allowed your opinion, as I am allowed mine, but you start your comment with a complete ban on Fan Fic. One man's stupid is another man's fun. Many of them aren't perhaps to my tastes, but other users seem to lap em up. Perhaps that makes me stupid for not seeing the literary spark in them? Maybe.

People will always argue about a subject that they're passionate about, even if that turns out to be a boy band, but I don't think tarring an entire genre with a 1D brush is particularly fair.

• EmotionlessMe
    EmotionlessMe
    11 months ago

The topic is 'If you could change Wattpad, what would you change'. IF I could change Wattpad, I would remove the 1D fan-fics. The key word here is 'I'...entirely left to me. If I could change Wattpad, I'd make it entirely about what 'I' think is literature, hell, I'd make everyone write in Queen's English.

But that's what I want to change but I can't so I don't see what the issue is. @TheOrangutan