Chapter 17: Dead or Alive

Sophia's POV

"Can't you go any faster?" I tried to keep calm. Louis looked frustrated, beads of sweat running down his face.

"We're almost there! Calm down," he breathed. My heart was racing with anticipation. Harry and Kassy were sitting together in the back, holding each other, but I didn't feel jealous. I was too worried about my baby boy to think about anyone else.

My eyes widened at the scene. All I could hear was my heart beat. Firefighters were putting out the fire. The truck was upside down, smashed inwards. For the first time since my mother's death, I felt my heart literally break. I felt my blood turn cold. Dizziness took over. My body stayed frozen in place. It was like a horrible dream that had no ending.

"Wait inside Soph," Louis ordered as he got out. Ignoring his command, I got out and ran toward the scene. I scanned the car looking for Sam, but he wasn't there. I pushed past the officers, tears streaming endlessly down my redden cheeks. I could barely see past my swollen eyes.

"Where is he?!" I screamed. My eyes kept scanning, until I finally saw him. My baby boy. I ran toward him, pushing myself to make it to his side.

"Give him some space!" A firefighter yelled. They lied Sam's fragile body on a stretcher. Blood stained his clear white. Bruises layered his body, a few bones misplaced.

"Sam! SAM!!!" I shrieked going to his side. I placed my hand gently on his hand, hoping to feel a pulse. Nothing. His skin was cold. Everything stopped. No. He can't be. HE CAN'T BE!!. They pulled him away from me and gently slid the stretcher into the ambulance, not letting me come along.

I felt like my world was crumbling around me, and I couldn't do anything about it. Why Sam? Out of all of us, why him? He did nothing wrong. He was the best kid I knew. He was my baby boy. The only family I had left was him. I fell onto my knees not caring anymore. I let every tear drain from my eyes and let every sob escape my dry lips. Louis' arms wrapped tightly around me, holding me closely. He didn't say anything. Just held me there. Harry slipped beside me, along with Kassy. We all sat there, watching the world pass us by. My stomach felt queasy. I just wanted to fall asleep and never wake again.

"Miss, could you come with us to the hospital?" Detective Carlson asked. Louis held onto my waist, pulling me up to my feet. My body was trembling, but I did as he asked. Holding onto my arm, Louis pulled me toward his car and we all got in. I lied my head against the glass, watching the accident disappear from sight. I still couldn't believe everything was really happening. I just wanted to die now. I wanted someone to tell me that it was okay to feel this way, but no one could. No one would.

We pulled up to the hospital, and raced quickly toward the waiting room.

"Sam Stuart," I said quickly to one of the nurses. She looked on her computer and clicked around, making me grow antsy.

"I'm sorry miss, but we can't let you in yet. They're running some tests on him. If you'd like you can wait," she sighed, knowing this would only kill me even more. I hung my head and dragged myself to the waiting room. I sat on a chair closest to the corner of the room, laying my head on the white wall. Tears continued to glide down my cheeks.

"It'll be okay love," Louis whispered, taking my hand in his, kissing it lightly. I ignored him, and just thought about Sam. I don't understand how the world could be so cruel. Taking the life of a young innocent child? That's horrible. This is horrible. My whole world seemed out of place. My eyes drooped, longing for rest. I knew I shouldn't, but I couldn't help it.

* * * * * * *

"Mummy look!" Sam smiled. He pointed to the tv, showing me a super hero, a red cape draped over his shoulders.

"Who's that?" I asked smiling. I stirred my mint tea and walked into the living room, sitting next to Sam.

"Supew man," he clapped giggling. I laughed wrapping my arm around his tiny shoulders. He seemed so fragile, but he was so strong for a little kid.

"Is that what you want to be when you grow up?" I asked playfully. He nodded quickly, taking a Cheeto out of the bag and stuffing his fist into his mouth.  I brushed his hair back and watched the movie with him. He never liked Superman, but he loved superheros in general.

"Mummy?" Sam questioned looking up at me.

"Mhm?"

"Where's daddy?" he asked, his grey eyes filled with curiosity. My smile faded into a frown. It was rare of him to ask about Nick, but when he did I was caught in lies. What was I supposed to tell him? That his daddy didn't want him so he left us? I couldn't tell that to a four year old.

"He's with his family back in the states," I lied.

"Ohh... Can we visit him?"

"No Sam, it's too far. Plus don't you like it better with me?" I asked, tickling his stomach. He giggled, trying to push my hand away.

"Stop!" He shrieked laughing. Giggling, I kissed his small head, and continued watching the movie.

* * * * * * * *

"Sophia?" Louis voice woke me. My eyes split quickly, my heart pounding fast. I looked around me to see Harry and Kassy looking at me. I sat up in my seat, whipping my eyes. It was just a dream....

Detective Carlson came into the waiting room, causing all of us to quickly stand. My heart raced. This was it.

"Miss Stuart, I'm so sorry."

* * * * * *

Hey everyone :) So I know it is a short chapter, but today in English my principle came in and started talking about the Connecticut shooting and I thought I'd dedicate this chapter to those eighteen children. No parent should have to outlive their children. When I think about it, I realize how much I really have and how lucky I really am. These kids didn't get the chance to live a long and happy life, and I bet every single one of them had dreams that were shattered by a man who couldn't face his consequences. I can't bare the thought of children losing their futures. Their opportunities.

I'm not religious, but if each of you could take a second and send your prayers to their family and friends, that would be great. <3

Families and friends of these children and teachers, you're not alone... ♥

Thank you.