Devil's Assistant [5]

Chapter 5

Three days passed before I even dared to turn my phone back on. I had called Marianna that night and told her the job hadn't worked out and had then spent my time mollycoddling Danny, cleaning my flat over and over until it was overly clean, and watching copious amounts of day time TV. Sighing, I fidgeted slightly before leaning back into the sofa and returned my attention back to the TV to watch the very interesting episode of Jeremy Kyle, by interesting I meant that it made my life seem a million times better because mine wasn't filled with so much drama and scandal. After the other day I didn't think people could have worse lives that I do right now but the power of television proved me wrong. When the presenter revealed with that smarmy attitude of his , that the guest's baby was in fact fathered by her husband's brother or father or some crap like that and that her husband had been copping off with her younger sister and gotten her knocked up. I realised that no matter what, my life was never a Jeremy Kyle episode. Seriously, compared to all that crap, how can getting threatened and almost killed be that bad? I asked myself before mentally slapping myself for thinking about the event again.

Pressing the button on my remote so that the screen turned black, I pushed myself off of my worn cream sofa and walked towards the door to the kitchen. I knew Danny would be waking up soon so I headed to the small 70's style kitchen and started to prepare him a bottle. It was a mindless task and did nothing to keep from wandering back to that night so that my hands started to tremble and a tear ran down my cheek. With a sigh I swiped it away and stared blankly through the net curtains that hung across kitchen windows. My view only afforded me a glance into the flats across the streets but the sight of some woman dancing around the living room was enough to put a small smile upon my face, even if it didn't linger for long it was a reprieve from all of the gloomy emotions that had been plaguing me.

Tightening the lid of the bottle, I placed it gently on the side before walking into the hall and walking the few steps to Danny's room. He was laying there staring in amazement at the glow in the dark stars that I had put on the ceiling. Smiling I walked over to the cot and picked him up cuddling him into my arms and letting my grin grow as he leaned into my embrace. It was nice to know I was loved I thought as I glanced down at the baby in my arms. Cooing to him I wandered back into the kitchen and started for the living room when that irritating buzz sounded through the flat. I knew it could only be Marianna so with a sigh I wandered back down the hall to where the handset hung on the wall.

After some careful manoeuvring I managed to get the receiver up to my ear. "Hello?" I questioned as the incessant buzzing came through the ear piece. I heard the sound of a voice being cleared before a male voice came through and was most definitely not Marianna.

"Miss Holmes?" I gulped in recognition whilst my eyes involuntarily closed. Why was he here? Didn't I make my point obvious by sending in my resignation and not turning up for the last three days?

"Yes?" I responded, my voice cracking slightly as my hands shook around the receiver. I waited for him to say something but he paused like he was trying to think of how to say his piece.

"Look Miss Holmes, can I come in? I need to talk to you and it's not something to be said on the streets." His voice wasn't forceful but I knew he wouldn't take no for an answer, he had a set of determination about him.

"Fine." My breath let out with a sigh. "You have five minutes." My voice was firm and resolute as I removed the handset from my ear and pressed the button to unlock the communal door before replacing the handset. I had a feeling in the pit of my stomach that this was a mistake, I felt that I had just made a deciding move and that whatever is said or agreed to now, there was no going back.

I was pulled from my thoughts by a knock at the door. Glancing down at Danny who was playfully tugging on the ends of my hair, I smiled through my nerves as I walked the two steps to the front door and proceeded to disengage all of the locks before opening the door to reveal two impeccably dressed men.