Chapter Sixteen

Chapter 16

I felt awkward in the long flowing purple dress. It had thin straps with a deep plunging 'v' neck design that showed the middle of my cleavage. I pulled the shawl over my shoulders as we stepped out into the night air.

I could not believe the amount of time it took to get ready for a simple engagement. As soon as she blackmailed me into going with her, Casey whole demeanour had changed. She seemed to have become more open and friendly towards me, chatting about her friends and who we should expect to be there.

I was anxious at first being around her, especially with her knowing my secret. I did not begin to relax in her company till when she ordered for a bottle of champagne to be delivered to her room. Suzy came up to the room with two empty glasses on a black tray followed by the elderly butler Alfred.

He did not seem to be too surprised seeing that I was sitting on the bed, whilst Suzy's eyes widen then her lip tightened as she her eyes glared at me.

I gave her a nonchalant look, mouthing to her 'what do you expect me to do?' I shrugged my shoulders at her nod to the door indication that I should leave.

My eyes were taken off her as a bustle of people entered the room. They introduced themselves as hair and beauty experts. For the past couple of hours I was poked, prodded, waxed and threaded to become like a Hollywood model.

"Are you cold Madam?"

I was brought out of my daze by the chauffeur. I recognise him from the break room. Seeing as we work in different departments of the house I had no social interaction with him.

I looked down to see if he was wearing a name badge as I could not wrack my mind for his name.

"I am fine erm..." I drifted the sentence off as I did not see anything that indicated his name.

"It is Nathan." He smiled at me when he opened the door.

Casey breezed past me on the steps to enter the Bentley first. She gracefully scooted over to the other side so I would be able to squeeze in.

"Will anyone else be coming?" Nathan bent down to ask.

Casey looked like she was pondering over the question then she shook her head. As soon as the door shut I felt my heart speed up again. I linked my fingers together in what I consider a nervous gesture. I don't know how I can feel seeing them together. Knowing that they were at it like rabbits under my nose. Under the same roof as me.

I felt the anger rise within me; I could not understand just why Casey is forcing me to go to this stupid party. I want to get my own back at them. At this rich people who think they can rule the world and everyone in it.

"Stop fidgeting." Casey cursed as she was texting on her iPhone. "You're making me nervous."

"You would not be so nervous if I was not here." I turned to face her. "How about you tell the driver to drop me home instead."

Casey gave a short laugh. "You mean my home. "

My breath hitched in my throat. "Why are you doing this to me?" I felt like screaming at her. "Why are you submitting me to this torture?"

"It is not a torture." She put her phone in her side purse. "You should be happy that I am letting you go along. You should show them that you have nothing to fear but they have every reason to be afraid."

"Afraid because of what?" I shook my head at her then leaned back against the backseat of the limo. "This is not any episode of revenge. I am not going to kill them."

"I am sure you are not. But he might." Casey murmured.

I did not have chance to reply to that comment as the car came to a halt. I unbuckled my seat belt as soon as Nathan came to open the door. I waited for Casey to get out the other side before he opened my door.