Chapter 1: The Great Darkness

Darkness. The absence of light. The ever-faithful companion of all who walk in the land of Kuro. It was the darkness, ever-present, that enveloped all consciousness. It was overpowering, almost smothering in its presence. And yet it was comforting too, strangely alluring in its ubiquity.

Mina stared out into the darkness. The black waves roiled and churned as the Lightbeam crossed the unknown. The vessel rocked vigorously, but maintained its composure against the treacherous waves. Mina sighed. It was almost melancholy, the darkness melding with the dark waves. There was a foul smell to the water too. Mina had thought that the waters of Umi, fresh as they were, would be what the open ocean would smell like. 

Sadly, it was not so. There was a foulness to the water, as if something had been desecrated. Mina pushed her hand onto the ship’s railing, raising herself up so she could get a better vantage point. But it was all pointless. The darkness beckoned from beyond. Not even the light of the Aurora could comfort her. 

It was stifling. Mina shook her head. A child of the Utter Darkness was used to the absence of light. But being out in the open like this, Mina’s mind wandered. Her thoughts turned to Joab, to the life she had left behind.

“That is the third time in about ten minutes that you have stirred so, little lady.” Vannah’s voice cut through the stillness. Mina was grateful. She had been absorbed in her thoughts, lost in her dark ruminations. Vannah’s calm and resolute voice was a welcome distraction.

“I’m sorry, Vannah. I don’t mean to dampen everyone’s spirits. The dark waters, and the stench, surely you smell it too. It does not do many favors for my disposition.”

Vannah smiled, flashing her sharp teeth. In the darkness, those eyes glittered once more.  Amidst the turmoil and uncertainty, the ashen and emaciated countenance of Vannah Searra von Talthys was strangely comforting. Under the pale light of the Aurora, with no other light to aid them as they drifted in the darkness, the eerie beauty of the Dark Priestess was disarming. Mina could never truly figure out why this was the case. 

And though the Dark Priestess was a comfort, if nothing more than to provide a bedrock of consistency and support underneath Mina, it was the presence of the demon that sailed with them made her uneasy. Even disguised in Searra’s form -- the demon hiding its true nature and masquerading as a strikingly beautiful girl with long dark hair that flowed like the sea over slender shoulders and a body that had curves in all the right places -- there was still something off. The biggest sign that all wasn’t well was the presence of the veil: a thin, slip of paper that was attached to Searra’s forehead, veiling most of her face. Upon the paper, characters were inscribed, the name of the Moon God, Tsukuyomi, the powerful seal that held the demon within bound. The veil made for a great metaphor in Searra’s case.

The demon hadn’t stirred in a long time. Perhaps Vannah had taken away its ability to see or hear again. But a smile was on Searra’s beautiful lips, and it was not comforting. There was evil in that smile -- a sign that the demon that hid underneath was thinking and plotting on its own.

But she had traveled with these companions before: over lands, forests and caves. Going by sea should not be any different. 

Mina felt a hand on her shoulder. “Your friends are with you, Child of the Light.”

Mina smiled. Mykall’s voice was reassuring. The calm and stoic warrior was by her side. Yet another comfort in the unknown. He looked strangely tired. His eyes looked as though they were drooping in the milky light. The warrior’s face was haggard, a bit of a stubble was starting to form on his chin and jawline, and his long hair was unruly as ever. 

At least the warrior had updated his clothing. The tattered armor had given way to proper plated shields and a more modern-looking tunic and breeches. The badly worn sword and scabbard were the only thing he had kept from his old wardrobe.

“No matter how much I try, it never gets old looking at the lot of you.” Ellie’s calm and sunny demeanor showed in her voice. “Have a little fun folks!” Ellie flashed a wide grin. “We’re out on the open sea! This is the spirit of adventure!”

Ellie wagged a finger at Mina. “Back in the old days, plenty of adventurers braved the open sea like we are doing now.” She shook her head and pointed to the sky. “Those blasted Kite units have taken all the danger from travel.”

Ellie ran around on the deck. “We’re making history here! We’re one of the few people in the modern age foolish enough to cross the Boundary of Light by sea!”

“Your disposition is a tad unnerving young one,” Vannah casually threw out. “Still, it helps to have one whose demeanor varies from the rather gloomy bunch that you see before you. The Dark Priestess’ eyes turned to slits.

“And I intend to keep going if that’s what needs to happen to raise everyone’s spirits!” Ellie laughed out loud.

Mina sighed and rolled her eyes.  “But this blasted darkness is driving me crazy!” she spread her arms wide all around her.   

Ellie moved her face very close to Mina, the bright blue eyes staring right at her as the pretty girl flashed a wide grin at her. “So, do something about it, fair Goddess!”

“Oh for crying out loud, Ellie! I can’t keep using my powers all the time. What if we were attacked and I needed to use it then?”