My Massacred Memory

I could hear mumbling while I slept. I could barely make out words. Then I jumped up when I heard ‘Zabuza’ and ‘alive’ in the same sentence. “I knew it!” I screamed. Everyone jumped while I rubbed the sleep from my eyes. “I forgot about the guy who is always with Zabuza. He stopped me from killing Zabuza he last time I saw him.”

“Did you sleep well?” Kakashi asked me.

“I haven’t slept well since I saw…Yes, I did.” Kakashi looked at me for a moment before sighing. I stood up and stretched. I felt wide awake.

“You all need training,” Kakashi said, finishing whatever they were talking about while I flushed red, facing the window. I just realized throughout them talking to Kakashi, I was snuggled up into his side, hugging his waist.

I stared out the window while they talked until Kakashi called me from the door. “Hitsuki, come on.” I followed behind him, not wanting him to fall, and we walked outside. To a clearing. Of trees. Trees! Seriously? I sighed and decided to go ahead and ask what he wanted us to do.

“Well, I want you to walk up the tree, without the use of your hands,” he said with a closed-eye smile. Sakura and Naruto started to freak.

“That isn’t even possible Kakashi-sensei!” Sakura yelled in her high-pitched voice. I cringed, my hearing always being super sensitive. “How about you show us an example?” Kakashi complied, and ended up hanging upside down on a branch. I figured this had something to do with chakra concentration. While he was explaining what everyone needed to do, and Sakura explained chakra to the ever dense Naruto, I got bored and went to the top of a tree. I had concentrated my chakra into the soles of my feet and just walked. The wind blew gently as I rested at the top. I heard Naruto asking where I was.

He wants to know, so I guess I will give him a dramatic entrance. I jumped from the tree top and free-fall-ed down. Putting chakra in my hands, I gripped a branch, swung around it, and landed on all four in front of them. Bad plan, because I ended up aggravating my wound. Kakashi was looking at me worriedly so I smiled and got rid of the pain that showed on my face.

“Yes Naruto, did you need something?” I smiled up at him sweetly, seeing as I was still crouched on the ground. He looked impressed, even Sasuke did, and he shook his head and tried to concentrate his chakra. Sakura was already at the top of the tree.

“Well, guess Sakura is good enough to be the Hokage. And the Torasu Clan is far better than the Uchiha Clan.” I smiled at Kakashi’s words, whereas Sakura yelled at them.

“Zip it Sensei, you’re going to make Sasuke-kun mad at me!” she yelled from the top of her short tree. I smiled. No, it did the exact opposite; it put a fire in both of their eyes. They were now determined. I looked at Kakashi and the vision I had when I was small came rushing back, making me dizzy.

But, when it focused, it wasn’t that vision, it was of a girl, no, a boy, being stabbed by lightning…stabbed by Kakashi. I sucked in a breath, and my vision cleared, coming back to reality. Kakashi looked over at me when he heard my sharp intake of air. I shook my head and turned away, running up to the top of a tree, and calming down silently. It was depressing to see a death that I knew I couldn’t prevent. I saw more of the vision, it hasn’t happened yet, and tears started to fill my eyes.

When night fell, I started my decent down the tree, and went back to the house. Kakashi was the only one left, he was busy eating. I sat down in front of him and he paused, waiting for my reaction.

“I already told you that I was interested, Kakashi. And, I was quit serious,” I said, a small teasing smile making its way to my face, “You don’t have to wait for my reaction. I thought you were hot when I first saw you, my opinion hasn’t really changed.” He continued eating after a slight widening of his visible eye. I stood up and stretched, laughing silently when Kakashi caught himself staring at me. I walked outside, telling him I would come to bed later, and went to the roof. I chuckled remembering his face burning at my suggestive wink. I sat out there for quite some time until I felt drowsy. I didn’t expect to get much sleep tonight, not that I ever did. I went inside and quietly went into our shared room.

Kakashi was already lying in bed, making sure there was plenty of room for me. I sighed and stole his book that he was always reading from his kunai pouch and went back to the roof. I don’t care how tired I am, I am not sleeping that much and freaking everybody out with my middle of the night screams. And even as I say that, I drift to sleep completely immersed in the book.

~~~~~~~~

“Hitsuki, I took you in, out of kindness, and you insult me with your failure?” Orochimaru asked, angrily.

“B-b-b-but, Lord Orochimaru, I d-d-don’t want to……k-….kill anyone,” I barely managed to stutter out. I was slapped across the face.

“Then, if you can’t do what I need, I do not need you.”

I didn’t want to be alone. The man who I was supposed to kill was standing next to me. Kabuto had decided to bring proof of my failure. I pulled out my blades before anyone could react, and slit his throat with one while plunging the other into his heart. I kept a straight face.

“There, My Lord, he is dead….just as you wished.” Orochimaru smiled after I did that.

“That is perfect, Hitsuki. You might just be useful after all. I need someone to test out the capabilities of my newest experiments. If they are not useful to me, kill them. Kabuto will take you to the arena now,” he finished, in a clearly dismissive tone.

“Yes…My Lord,” I said, bowing and following Kabuto to a large room. I stood in the middle and a few people were sent in. They were all deemed useless, and, they all screamed as they died.

~~~~~~~~

I woke up screaming. I looked over to see that I was in bed by myself. I let out a few shuddering breaths before getting up and going downstairs. Kakashi was the only one to look up.

“Hitsuki, are you okay?” he asked. I nodded my head. Everyone was looking at me and I sighed.

“I am perfectly normal. I am okay. It was just another nightmare, which I am very used to. Thank you all for worrying….although I have no idea how I ended up in bed. Especially since I was on the roof reading you book,” I murmured to myself, causing Kakashi to raise an eye. Everyone nodded before getting up and going back to train. We had been here for almost a week. That was the first time since sleeping with Kakashi, as in ‘in the same bed’, that I woke up from a nightmare. I guess Kakashi is my dream catcher.

Sakura and Sasuke left with Tazuna, we would catch up later. Kakashi is almost perfectly fine now. I sighed as I sat down, my face in my hands tiredly. “What was your dream about?”

I looked at Kakashi for a few minutes before answering, face back in my hands. “The first time I killed anyone. At first, I refused to do it, but after a threat of being left alone…I pulled out my two swords and slit his neck while I stabbed him through the heart at the same time. Orochimaru was so happy, that he made me test out the usefulness of his experiments. I had to kill off most of them. Only four remand alive, only four out of seventy-three were left alive. I killed seventy people that day. The day of my first murder was also my first massacre,” I choked out, tears threatening my eyes again. My wound has healed by now. “After so many deaths, you get to the point where you can ignore it. I may have killed thousands, but I never enjoyed it. I had to do it. Then, when I was given the opportunity of freedom…I took it,” I said. I stood up abruptly. “Come on, let’s go, and Naruto can stay asleep. We should catch up quickly.”

I ran out the door. Sakura, Sasuke, and Tazuna didn’t get far. I caught up easily, Kakashi not that far behind me. He sighed as we all walked around Tazuna. I scanned the forest as everyone else talked. I started to think what it would have been like, if my family hadn’t been murdered. I tried to remember it, but my head started to hurt. I wanted to remember, but something wouldn’t let me.