Alice and Jasper fanfic

A/N: this next short fanfic takes place after Breaking Dawn when Renesmee is safe from any harm. The Cullen's lives have settled down and Jacob, Seth and Leah have moved into the Cullen's home. Jasper and Alice are visiting their separate home for their mini honeymoon.

Jasper's POV

I dashed into the house and slowed when entering the living room. My wife, Alice was seated on the couch, her legs folded beneath her and she was staring at the flames dancing in the fireplace. It's not like we needed the heat but having a fire going was beautiful to watch. I snuck up behind her knowing she would have "seen" me coming but when I wrapped my arms around her she jumped in surprise. "Oh! Jasper! I thought you were still hunting?" she gasped in shock. I shook my head and kissed down her thin pale neck. She shivered once but continued watching the flames. I wound my hands around her small waist and slipped my fingers under her silver blouse. At that point she would usually respond to my emotions and wants but she just continued staring.

I walked around the couch and sat beside her, my mouth in a frown. Her emotions were filled with confusion, longing, sadness, wonder, and defeat. "Alice?" I whispered quietly stroking her short black hair. She finally looked at me and her face was slightly pinched her eyes a dark gold. I could see her eyelashes were droopy and her eyelids were dark, she was "crying". Since vampire couldn't cry real tears our faces responded to the emotions but didn't release a drop. I pulled her into my arms and kissed her hair. "What is wrong love?" I whispered in her ear. She shook her head and pulled back not meeting my eyes. "Alice, don't tell me you're still keeping secrets." She dropped her shoulders in defeat at my words but remained quiet.  

Why is she feeling this way? What is she not telling me? "Do I have to call Edward and ask him to come here and tell me?" I asked softly. Alice seemed to break down at my meaningless threat and she leaned into me sobbing dryly. I pulled her close and stroked her hair, "please tell me what's wrong." She nodded and leaned back looking at her hands resting in her lap. "I'm trying to remember being human..." she whispered quietly.

I stroked her cheek and kissed her forehead. "I can't remember anything. Just darkness... I want to be human" she whispered voice scratchy. I pulled her against me again and she pressed her face into my shoulder. "I'm sorry... you probably don't want to listen to me sobbing over being something impossible" she sniffled and inhaled my scent. "Shh... I'm here to listen and comfort you. Many times I wish the same thing" I whispered into her hair. She pulled back slightly to look at me.

Alice touched my cheek and closed her eyes, "you remember your human days. I have no idea what it is like to be human. I want.. I want to move back through the past... I want to experience my human life. Remember it, live it until I die of old age or sickness." I sighed and my wife opened her eyes. "See. I told you, you don't want to hear me regretting ever changing and meeting you" she frowned. I held her face in my hands and pressed my forehead to hers, "I do wish you didn't wish that but I understand how frustrating this is. We're soul mates Alice, we would have found each other eventually." I closed my eyes and winced slightly, "though if we met you might end up cold and dead in my arms..."

Alice shuddered and I held her close to me rocking her gently. "I love you Jasper and I am forever grateful for you being in my life" she whispered against my throat. "Alice love, I know how you feel and I understand completely. Stop feeling sorry or upset. Do not worry over upsetting me because you want to uncover your life. You have a right to do that love. As your husband, I promised to support you and comfort you. Your curiosity is very strong and I am sorry I cannot help you discover more of your past. I wish I could. I love you, Alice, forever and always." I spoke to her softly stroking her hair. She relaxed and we sat there for a long time just listening to each others quiet breathing.