Tokyo - June 16th 1991 - 5pm

Tokyo – June 16th 1991 – 5pm

Douglas held Robin’s final words close to his heart the 4 hours it took for the big 747 Jumbo jet to chug and pull through the turbulence and headwinds it faced on the traverse over the China Sea to Japan.

He mucked them over constantly and debated their meaning and how she fit into the long and winding road of his life. “I care about you guys more than I should AND I don’t know what the fuck’s going on…” played and roamed in his mind.

He was happy enough with her final instruction to go back and love Kris like he should. That thought had him wishing he could inject more power into the big aircraft and that his anticipation of lovemaking would allow him to sit comfortably during the flight back.

His uncle John occasionally was vocal in there too. “Yeah ma boy, a really pretty 25 year- old, naked as a jay bird in front o’ ye an’ ye no so much twitched.” he chided. “Settled or no wi’ Kris, I’d hae at least expected some physical reaction,” and he finished with, “Ah mean yer no dead yet boy. Lookin’ will no get ye into any trouble ye ken.”

Bill finally decided to put the whole question or niggling thought into its’ own box in his head. Robin’s purely coincidental behavioral similarities to Lynda were just that. He figured that all Australian girls probably cock their heads to one side and bug and nag their guys in such a way that they get away with it because it IS so damned cute after all.

As always, the ANA girls were being their attentive selves and on their very best courteous behavior. One of them on this particular flight had worked a couple of other journeys where Kris and he had been travelling together. This it seemed, gave her permission to shower him now with constant attention, a steady flow of food and of course brandy. A couple of good and large cognacs settled him down and he allowed himself to sleep the majority of the flight.

“Narita, ah Narita,” he thought as the familiar hustle and bustle accosted his senses again. The place was a zoo and seemed to him to be disorganized chaos. It never changed and this time he didn’t have Keiko to whisk him away and through the crowds.

He always felt that arriving in Tokyo was punishment for some previous life. The sheer volume of moving bodies, the extremely long train journey into the city and, if you were stupid enough to try it, the even longer car journey.

Truth be told, it was about the only thing he disliked about Japan, and he always wondered why in God’s name the Japanese tolerated it.

He gave a mental shrug to the entire thing and reminded himself that in a few hours he’d be lying with Kris and making up for lost time and getting himself reacquainted with some precious female anatomy.

The tap on his shoulder was firm but polite and he turned with an inquisitive look to see the ever smiling face of Yoshikwa san and his outstretched arms.

‘Yoshikawa san,” he exclaimed. “What the Hell brings you here to this ant hill of a place? Are you going somewhere? If so let’s go grab a drink and catch up.”

Yoshikawa reached forward and gave Douglas a huge bear hug – highly surprising to him – and slapped him on the back saying, “No Douglas san. I just thought that since it was a Sunday and I was slack, that I’d come pick you up and show you yet another new toy of mine!”