Chapter Four

A/N-- Sorry for the late update. I've gone back to college and started a new job. Thanks for the support everyone.

The next day felt anything but "warlike;" in fact, the entire school seemed quiet and gloomy as people attempted to accept their fated partners. I walked into school with a new book-- I devoured Emma in one night in order to cope with saddness-- and sat down under the weeping willow with a head nod toward my fellow introverts. Only a few pages in, I shadow appeared on my page of Jane Eyre and I peered up slowly. Like cockroaches, the introverts fled away, finding new respective hiding spots. It was my new "husband," looking gorgeous as always in a leather jacket and aviators. Talk about cliche.

"Get up, we're going to sit at my table," Josh commanded hautily. I knew exactly what table he was talking about. It was the "cool" table in the courtyard, a place where the girls sat around smoking cigarettes and talking about not eating while the boys tackeled each other or made out with their respective girlfriends. It pretty much was the most terrifying place in the world for me.

Being mature, I didn't say anything and simply stuck my tongue out at him. After a moment of shock, Josh sighed angrily through his nose.

"You're not serious, right?" he said incrediously "You're lucky I'm even acknowleding your existance! The only reason I'm inviting you is because all the other guys girl-- wives are there. You better come or--"

"Or what?" I finally snapped, letting my eyes up from my book. Immediatly I felt regret. Looking up at his handsome, chiseled features made my heart spin and then, subsquently, drop. He was perfect, yes, but he also made my cry myself to sleep. I bit my lip and tried to channel that anger into my meek voice.

"You don't seriously think I want to see you after-after yesterday!" I said. Josh snorted, rolling his eyes.

"Well how else was I suppose to react? You're the biggest nerd in school, and not nearly as hot as someone like Crystal," he growled. Ouch. Tears pricked my eyes, but I swallowed them down.

"I don't care if you want a herpes covered blonde like her. Just as an fyi, I've already found someone else to sleep with--" okay, this was a total lie, but I was sure I could find somebody-- "and they will make much prettier babies than you. So please, just promptly fuck off."

There was silence and my heart pounded. Wow. Did I really just say that?

When I looked up I found that a crowd had surrounded us. Josh stood there, looking mortified that he, the player of the school, had been rejected by someone as lowly as me. People around us tittered and I almost felt bad with how red Josh was turning. I firmly told myself he deserved it, but my conscience got the better of me, and I was just about to apologize when Josh grabbed the paperback straight out of my hands and chucked it over the fence. I watched in horror as my precious book landed in the nearby Illinois River. The crowd burst out laughing as I stood up in fury.

"Hey!" I screamed. Josh got close to me, smirking. Quietly enough so the crowd wouldn't hear, he leaned close to my ear, so close I could smell his amazing scent of ocean and sandlewood, and whispered seductively in my ear.

"Go ahead, try to ruin my reputation. I'll ruin your life, kitty."

And with that he sauntered into the school as the bell rang, leaving me wide eyed and empty handed.