Chapter Six: Tillman's Party

Patricia's wedding was coming around faster than expected. Since my mother was the maid of the honor, it was her duty to throw the engagement party. Patricia refused a bridal shower. She wanted everyone to bring their gifts to the wedding.

Unfortunately for me, that meant that everyone in the neighborhood was invited to our house to celebrate. The party was in our backyard, and I was trying to avoid having to go. But my mother thought it would be a good way for me to get more customers for my pool services.

So, I was stuck standing in my backyard, watching everyone congratulate Patricia and Patrick. This was my first time meeting Patrick Shilling. He was a short, chubby guy with a horrible comb-over. He was nothing like I expected. Although, he was actually unbelievably nice. He even complimented my pool cleaning. He said he had never seen Patricia's pool in such pristine condition.

It felt good to be complimented.

"Ryder! Could you run inside and grab more bottles of champagne from out of the fridge?" My mother said pushing me towards the back door. I slid the door open, walking inside the kitchen to grab the rest of the champagne. I quickly slid them into my arms, struggling to carry them all out the door. Thankfully, Ashley came to the rescue.

"Need some help?" she asked as she took a few of the bottles from me. I nodded, glancing at Ashley to see, even she had changed. Her hair was shorter, and she had dyed it a pinkish color. I almost didn't recognize her.

"Thanks," I said as we placed the bottles in buckets of ice. "So you got forced into coming here too?"

Ashley smiled at me, groaning. "The groom is my uncle. So yeah. I had an obligation as bridesmaid. So, how is everything, Mr. Nationals?"

"Please stop," I huffed in embarrassment. "Who hasn't my mother told? Jeez."

"The President," Ashley teased as her eyes flickered into the crowd. "So, I'm guessing you and Mr. Writer Guy are no longer unless you guys are doing some weird threesome kind of relationship."

I scoffed as I saw Ian and Alan sitting at a table together. They were even color coordinated. I could only imagine whose brilliant idea that was. "We are not. He's found someone else. But it's okay, I have a boyfriend. His name is Jeremy. He might be coming up soon, hopefully."

"Oh! I can't wait to meet him," Ashley replied. "Is he cute? Where did you two meet?"

"At State and he's a knockout," I chuckled as I pulled my phone out, showing Ashley, my phone background. It was a picture of Jeremy and I, that I think captured the essence of our relationship. I was trying to kiss him, and he was shoving me away. She did her respective oohs and ah's.

She couldn't stop asking me about him either. I think she was more excited to see him than I was.

"How about you? You seeing anyone?" I asked trying to steer the conversation away from me.

"Not really," Ashley chuckled. "But I do have my eye on this guy who works down at Rosie's Farmer's Market. We flirt all the time. Neither of us has mustered up the courage to ask each other out though. I have a feeling it will happen soon."

"I have to use the bathroom," I muttered as I quickly excused myself. I had talked to Ashley for nearly an hour and a half. I needed a break. I quickly walked inside, moving upstairs towards the bathroom near my bedroom. I stopped as soon as I saw a figure standing in the middle of my room.

"Can I help you?" I asked as the figure turned around and faced me. I bit my lip as Ian glanced at me, placing the picture frame by my bed back down.

"Is this your father?" he asked casually as he shoved his hands into his pocket.

"Yeah," I nodded as he glanced back it, chuckling to himself.

"You were cute when you were little," he commented, his eyes darting back onto mine. "That haircut though - It must have been your mother's idea. It looks like a mom cut."

"Is that why you came into my room? To creep on my pictures," I snorted as he walked over towards my door and closed it shut. He stood in front of it, ushering me to sit down.

So he wanted to talk. You'd think he'd have taken the opportunity to talk to me the many times I had come over to clean his pool.

"Now you want to talk," I muttered. "Where's your boyfriend? Don't you guys do everything together?"

Ian pressed his lips tightly together as he ran his fingers across his knee. "I was upset, Ryder. I do admit I was acting childish, and I'm sorry. I only said those things because I wanted to hurt you. I wanted you to stay away. It's obvious you want to be committed to your boyfriend, and I would complicate that. I mean we can't just be friends. I care about you way too much."

Ian brushed his hands against my cheek, and then ruffled my hair. "I mean this is what you want right? Because I'll break it off with Alan if you want to try this again. You know I would."

I could feel my stomach churning, and my heart ache at the sound of his words. I wanted nothing more than Ian, and what we had last summer. I honestly did. But a part of me knew that it was only a fantasy. We would be strong for the summer, and then as soon as the fall came back around, we'd be right back where we started. I didn't want to get hurt again. Ian and I were at two different points. I would be moving on to my last year and he'd be working on a new novel that would distract him. I couldn't go through this again as much I loved Ian.

"This is what I want," I answered firmly as Ian lifted my chin up in his hands. He nodded, as he planted a kiss on my forehead.

"Okay," he replied as he walked out of my room. "I'll see you at my pool tomorrow."

"You got it," I nodded as the door closed shut behind him. I swore underneath my breath as I kicked my desk chair. It felt like I had ended our relationship all over again. I was nauseous, and dizzy. I just needed to sit down. I took a few deep breaths, telling myself that I had made the right decision.

I stayed in my room for the rest of the party. If I was hurting, then I knew Ian was hurting twice as worse. I couldn't see him. He'd play it off as if it wasn't bothering him. But I knew deep down it did.

He was going to dump Alan high and dry for me without any questions.

But I rejected him. Had I made the right choice?

"Ryder," my mother knocked on my door a few hours after the party ended. "Are you alright?"

I stared up at the ceiling, sitting up the moment I heard her voice. "Yeah. I'm fine. Just tired."

She opened the door, peeking her head in. "You would not believe what Tillman just gave me! Apparently, they got a really awesome group deal for their honeymoon, and she is giving John and I the extra tickets. We're not going to be with Tillman. Like we're staying at the same hotel, but won't - you know. We're separate."

"I get it," I replied dryly. "A present for being the only one who agreed to be her maid of honor."

My mother sucked her teeth. "Stop it! That's not nice, Ryder. You think you can handle being home alone and watching Patricia's house. If you can't, I'll have to call your grandmother Evette to come and look - "

I quickly interjected. "No! No! I can handle it."

My mother narrowed her eyes at me, suspiciously, as she closed my bedroom door shut. She didn't trust me. But she was going to let me stay home alone. That meant that I had the house to myself for a few days, which meant Jeremy could come up.

I glanced at my phone, quickly sliding to his number, so I could text him the good news.

In a little less than two weeks, he and I would be back together.