C h a p t e r O n e

© Amber Kalkes 2015

Song: "Brothers & Sisters" By Coldplay

C h a p t e r O n e >

Beep.

Beep.

Beep. Beep.

Beep. Beep.

Rae’s fist hits the top of the alarm clock and groans as she rolls onto her back. It looks like she’s fallen back asleep but in her head she’s just counting to twenty knowing that its only a matter of time. When she reaches a new record of twenty-four seconds three knocks sound on the outside of her door. With a huff of a laugh Rae runs a hand down her face.

Every damn morning like clockwork.

“Rae, Cassidy won’t let me in the bathroom.” Her nine-year-old sister, Poppy calls through her door. “Can I use yours?”

Not wanting to get up Rae just yells back, “Did you bribe her?”

“Yes. She said she won’t come out and I really have to pee!”

“Did you ask Jace for help?” She calls back, referring to their sixteen-year-old brother.

“He said to ask you.”

With a groan Rae sits up and runs a hand through her chin length blonde hair, getting her hands stuck in a knot. Sitting on the edge of her bed she stretches her toes until they crack, a habit after years of ballet and manages to find the will to get to the door. Opening the door a blur of blonde hair and gray long johns goes flying past her before her bathroom door is slammed shut behind it.

Well, Rae thinks with a yawn, guess she really did have to pee.

Heading for her dresser Rae picks out her work clothes and throws them on her bed waiting patiently for Poppy to finish. When she hears the toilet flush she leans against the doorframe with a raised brow. Poppy reemerges from the bathroom looking a little embarrassed and a small smile in place.

“Good morning.” Rae greets.

“Good morning. Sorry about that.”

Rolling her eyes Rae ruffles her sister’s already rat nested hair. “No worries, kiddo. You sleep okay?”

Poppy grins and nods, making her glasses bounce a little. “Yup. I had a dream the moon was populated with unicorns that mined skittles with their horns.”

“Sounds like an awesome dream.”

“It was. Hey Rae?”

“Yeah?”

“Can I have skittles for breakfast?”

“Not on your life. Now go get ready for school.”

Poppy pouts at her, “Will you braid my hair?”

“Sure but you’re going to have to make it quick. I already told Cassidy last night I’d braid hers too.”

“Okay!” She shouts before running out of the room and down the hallway towards her room.

Rae rolls her eyes and is about to shut her bedroom door so she can get dressed when she hears her sister shriek. This one is her seventeen-year-old sister, Cleo. Since hitting the teen years Cleo has been a hand full but the older she gets it seems to Rae that she only gets worse.

“Cassidy get out of the bathroom now!”

Cassidy, their six-year-old sister opens the door to yell back at Cleo, “No! Go away!”