Chapter Nine: Weak

"Oh dear..." Emma muttered as she placed her hand on her mouth in nervousness.

Aira giggled as she was carried inside, riding on Jarret's back with her arms around his neck. She wouldn't walk if she didn't have to.

Jarret let her down and she tried to stay upright, staggering around before she finally spotted her mother and went running. Emma nearly toppled over as Aira wrapped her arms around her neck, hugging the woman so tightly she could hear Emma whimper from her unusual strength.

"Momma, I missed you!" she cried, almost in tears. "Did you miss me?" she asked seriously.

Emma was wide-eyed as Aira let go. Catching her breath, she gulped and nodded. "Of course I did. Now, how much did you have to drink tonight?"

Aira used her hand to count, but when one hand wasn't enough, she dropped her shoes and clutch purse to the floor before using the other one. "I really can't remember," she finally announced, grinning sheepishly.

Jarret and Aiden snickered behind her. "Should we mention it?" Jarret muttered.

Aiden shook his head and shoved Jarret out of the main house. "Let's not. Night Mom. Goodnight Aira," he chuckled before they were both out of sight.

"What were they talking about?" Emma asked as she helped her daughter up the stairs.

Aira laughed harder, before rambling on about something to do with underwear and funny men with guns. Emma narrowed her eyes but said no more as she led Aira to her room.

As they moved down the hall, Olya emerged, having been knocking on Aira's door. Emma smiled and ignored Olya's confused stare. "Hey there, sweetie, what's up?" she asked and let out a tiny yelp when Aira ran for one of the hallway windows.

Olya coughed nervously. "I was trying to find you and when I couldn't, wanted to see if Aira knew where you were..."

Aira's eyes brightened at this information, and she ran to hug Olya. "Olya! Have I told you how beautiful you are? And we're friends, right? Best friends?"

Emma let out a frustrated noise, but Olya simply smiled, obviously not understanding this odd behaviour. "Oh course," she nodded, "but I need to speak with Emma about my sister."

Aira jumped up and down in excitement. "Are the babies coming? Are they?" she squealed.

Olya was about to answer when Emma cut in. "Olya, head downstairs and I'll be down in a moment. I have to get this one to bed."

Olya pressed her lips together, holding back whatever she was going to say, and nodded before retreating to the first floor of the house. Aira watched after her, a soft frown playing on her face, wondering if something was wrong before another wave of careless wonder took over.

Emma herded her daughter into the room, nodding happily as Aira told her about the night before the mayhem ensued. Emma already knew, having been warned by Drake when Aiden and Jarret had taken Aira home. Emma couldn't help but shake her head and laugh at this 'underwear' situation, and could just picture the look of pure rage on Drake's face when his fatherly protectiveness kicked in.

Aira continued to talk as she let Emma pull her dress off and wipe her makeup away. Aira still had her black dress slip on as she fumbled to undo her bra underneath, finally slipping it off when Emma helped her.

Emma went to her dresser to get some nightwear, but Aira shook her head. "I'll just sleep with this," she said, motioning to her satin slip she still had on.

Her mother nodded, feeling relieved that she didn't need to assist the shaky girl into pants and a tank top. Doing so would have been a nearly impossible task.