Chapter Nineteen

“Ouch!” Jade winced as the needle pierced her eyebrow. Tori smirked and gripped the raven-haired beauty’s hand tightly. The pretty blonde doing the piercing smirked as well to which Jade scowled fiercely. The woman put the simple piece of jewelry into Jade’s eyebrow and stood back, admiring the finishing product. Tori’s eyes roamed Jade’s face and blushed slightly. She had definitely been right, the piercing looked unbelievably sexy on Jade. The girl was so attractive that it was almost unfair.

Jade noticed the look and a lopsided grin spread across her lips. “See something you like?” she threw in a wink for good measure. Tori swallowed the lump in her throat, feeling like her cheeks were about to burst into fire as her nether regions exploded with heat.

“As if you needed a bigger ego booster,” Tori mumbled. Jade laughed loudly and got up out of the leather chair she’d been sitting in, swinging her hand in Tori’s that had not once been let go of. She rubbed her thumb gently in circles across the brunette’s skin, the action not going unnoticed. Tori’s heart was thumping uncomfortably fast and what seemed like a permanent smile was etched across her face.

Is this what it felt like to be happy?

The girls followed the piercer to the front of the shop, still holding hands. The blonde woman glanced at them curiously but didn’t comment. God knew she got a wide variety of people in her shop; lesbian couples certainly weren’t new.

“That’ll be thirty dollars please,” she said politely. Jade fished around in her pocket and let go of Tori’s hand momentarily to find the money. Once she had given it to the woman, her hand was straight back in the brunette’s, causing butterflies to explode in Tori’s stomach.

Once Jade had received the icepack and the cleaning materials for her new piercing, the girls walked hand in hand out of the shop and down the street in silence, reveling in the slight nip in the air and listening to the birds calling to one another. There was never an awkward moment and for this, Tori was grateful, content just to be in Jade’s company. The unpleasant scene with her mother earlier in the day was pushed to the back of her mind the longer she spent time with Jade. However, she knew she would have to go back home at some point and her spirits were dampened dramatically. Jade noticed the sudden change in mood and squeezed Tori’s hand in concern, pulling them to a halt in the middle of the street.

“Are you alright, Tori?”

Tori smiled thinly but sighed. “I’m just thinking about going back home again.”

“Don’t even give that a thought right now. You’re with me and we’re spending time together away from your mother. We still have a few hours left yet,” Jade replied, almost fiercely. She was determined to keep Tori distracted, even if it was only for a little while. The girl deserved happiness and Jade was going to do all that she could to give it to her.

This time the smile on Tori’s face was genuine. “What would I do without you?”

Jade rolled her eyes playfully. “Be horribly bored?”

This earned a loud laugh and Jade couldn’t help but marvel at how beautiful the sound was. She shook her head in bemusement.

“What?” Tori asked curiously. “Why are you looking at me like that?”

“I was just thinking,” Jade replied, swinging their hands together as they started to walk down the street again. “How wonderfully scary it is that your happiness means a great deal to me.”

Tori was surprised and looked at Jade’s face. Her murky eyes were far away and she was biting her lip in thought. The brunette would never get used to some of the things that came out of Jade’s mouth. This new girl that actually confides in Tori about her feelings unnerves her slightly. However, she knew that Jade was holding back. She knew there were things she didn’t quite yet understand about her new girlfriend, but there was no rush. They had all the time in the world. The thought brought a smile on her face as her heart sped up in response.