Chapter 29 | I Hate You All So Much

I’m just… happy. I’ve never felt that before. I’m exactly where I want to be.”  — Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

“Sawyer,” Graham says the next morning, poking me in my back.

“Hmm?” I sleepily reply, keeping my eyes shut because I’m not ready to wake up just yet.

“You gotta get up,” He tells me, poking me yet again in my back.

“I literally just went to sleep,” I whine, hoping that I’ll actually be able to fall back asleep.

“Babe, it’s noon,” Graham informs me with a small chuckle. “You’ve been asleep for at least, like, ten hours now.”

“Oh,” I mutter, surprised by the fact that I slept so late— I never sleep this way. “Well, why do I need to get up?”

“Because you and I, we need to get back to Andover like, right now,” Graham says, sounding slightly panicked.

“How come?” I wonder, rolling over in the bed and opening my eyes to look up at him, since it’s clear that I won’t be going back to sleep anytime soon.

I mean, it’s Sunday and I don’t have school (obviously) or therapy or work or anything like that today, so I’m in no rush at all to get back home. Especially since I know that when I do get back home, I’m going to get the lecture of a lifetime via Heather and the longest interrogation of all time from Sienna and Aspen and Piper. I’ll definitely take the interrogate over the lecture though— at least my friends won’t be screaming at me, which I’m a thousand percent sure is about all my mother will be doing.

Then there’s Graham, who doesn’t really do anything with his time aside from going to school, hanging out with me, and sometimes hanging out with Halden and his other guy friends whose names I can’t remember. So, I don’t know what his rush is. Unless he has to babysit his brother or something, but that isn’t likely because he’s probably still in the hospital.

“Because Beckett has been calling and texting me all morning,” He tells me. “And I think that if you aren’t home soon, he’s going to find us and kill me.”

“And I think that you’re just being dramatic, per usual,” I laugh. “Besides, I wouldn’t let my big brother kill you— I’d protect you from him,” I assure him.

“I feel like he wouldn’t do anything crazy like shoot me or stab me or anything,” Graham goes on, as if actually considering the possibility that Beckett could kill him. I mean, I know he’s a little psychotic sometimes (Beckett, that is), but he’s not crazy. “I think he’d poison me so that he could watch me die a slow, painful death,” He says and then looks over at me.

“You are being so ridiculous right now, Graham,” I giggle, pulling the covers up to my chin. It’s actually kind of warm here in this room, but I don’t want to be all exposed and whatnot, even though that kind of makes no sense at all, since last night I was totally fine with being all exposed and whatnot. “Beckett has even told me that he kinda likes you, so I am a hundred percent sure he wouldn’t murder you,” I add. “Where’s your phone?”

“Are you going to call him?” He wonders, grabbing his phone from the nightstand and unlocking it before handing it to me.

“Nope,” I deny, shaking my head, finding my brother’s number in Graham’s call history and rolling my eyes when I see the amount of times he’s called Graham— forty-nine, and that’s just since 6 o’clock this morning. I click on his number then and select the option to block it. Man, I love the call blocking feature. It honestly has helped me so many times in life when it comes to avoiding contact with people that I don’t want to talk to. I know that it’s kind of mean to block my brother, but he’s being such a jerk right now. He knows that I am in perfectly good hands and he’s doing this to annoy me.