Chapter 14: Alipin

It has been a day since the incident and Mika was still recovering. Fortunately everything was getting back to normal or at least how it used to be. For one, her hero was back on her usual cold, spine-chilling, harsh attitude. Another thing was that she had not incurred any traumatic side effects of what happened to which she was really thankful for. She didn't have any nightmare about it last night and it never really occurred in her mind whenever she was free. She wasn't stuck with the dreadful memory instead life simply continue to go on as if she hadn't really gone any serious act of bullying. Heck it was even beyond that. She could easily sue those girls for harassment and physical injuries with all the bruises and cuts she got from them. But good hearted Mika would not go that far. She was just grateful that she was saved on time because if not she could have lost her consciousness with the all the beating she went through. She was also coping up well far from the usual response of someone who had to go through a lot such as what she experienced. It could have severely affected her mental state but she was pretty much the same. Lastly, there were no one in particular pestering or bugging her at the moment. All is well except for one thing. She had to wear long sleeves or jackets to hide the bruises and scratches. She just didn't want to stir any trouble even if she did nothing wrong. She was also afraid that people might misunderstood her for someone joining a sorority so she decided better to hide them. Also, she would be needing more than a week for all her injuries to be completely healed. As a result, she wouldn't be coming home over the weekend. She didn't want to make her parents worried if they saw the marks on her arms and she was afraid it would get big like filing of cases would be involved and she just simply doesn't want that. She didn't want to make any fuss of what happened. So she had decided that she would just tell her expecting parents that she had something to do which was partly true. She'd be doing things for her thesis.

All in all her day went smooth and well. Posting of the exam results in Psychometrics 2 being the highlight. She found out that she was actually one of the topnotchers in the whole department. She was happy and giddy she immediately made a phone call to the Reyes' residence and told them the good news. Of course her parents were proud of her achievement and quickly planned for a small celebration with the family. The moment she heard their joyous voice on the other line she immediately cursed herself and regretted calling. Her heart constricted in pain as she rejected her parent's plans. She could actually picture what they would be doing in the weekend to come. She knew it would be wonderful. Unfortunately no matter how much she wanted to be with her family, she knew she just couldn't really made it. Her parents said okay, understanding as always but she could sense the sadness and disappointment in their voices so she promised herself that one day, she'll make it up to them.

Matapos nang tawag ay tuloy si Mika sa mga klase n'ya. Hours passed until it was finally time to go to their home away from home. Wala pang ala-sais ng hapon pero pabalik na agad s'ya ng dorm. Lampas 20 minutos na kasing no show ang kanilang prof kaya nagsiuwian na sila. Nakangiti s'yang nagtungo sa Concepcion. Hassle man ang suot n'yang long sleeves at tagaktak na nga ang pawis n'ya sa malinsangang panahon sa Pilipinas ay pinili na lang n'yang wag indahin yun. Sa halip tumitingin s'ya sa positive side. Tulad na lang ng araw na to. Para bang nakikita ng langit ang paghihirap at kabutihang loob n'ya kaya't ginantimpalaan s'ya. Dalawang magandang bagay ba naman ang nangyari sa kanya sa isang araw, s'ya pa kaya ang hindi matutuwa? Nagtopnotch na s'ya, meron pa s'yang bonus na free cut. Talaga namang napakasaya nang araw na yun. She was even skipping as she walked. She was in a bliss and she was whistling to herself as she opened the door. Pagpasok n'ya ay naabutan n'ya ang mga dormmates na sina Kim, Cienne, Carol at Camille na nakaumpok sa sala. May nakaset-up na laptop sa center table at busy silang nanunuod ng kung ano.

"Guys anong ginagawa n'yo?" Curious na tanong n'ya sa mga ito.

"Nanunuod kami ng The River." Si Carol ang sumagot. Lahat sila ay hindi tinatanggal ang tingin sa screen ng laptop. Mukang hook na hook sila sa series na pinapanuod.