Chapter 11: Goodbye

Chapter 11

Goodbye

Ross had my hand wrapped in his, and he was slowly swinging my arm back and forth. He was looking at the floor and i could tell he was trying not to cry. This would be the last time we would be with each other in person for who knows how long. My heart was slowly breaking.

No more Ross. No more kisses. No more hugs. No more twirls. No more of anything, for a long, long time.

i couldn't help it. A tear slid down to the tip of my nose and dropped to the floor silently. It was just the beginning of a river. Tears started pouring silently out of my now red eyes, and i could feel Ross watching me. He leaned in closer to me, and placed his head on top of mine. I felt tears sliding down my forehead and knew that Ross must be crying too. But he didn't make a peep.

Somehow Ross managed to get past security with us and Carly's family. We sat down in front of our terminal and i sat in Ross's lap. I pushed the side of my head against his and he put his hand on my thigh. Then he started playing with a loose thread on my shirt.

It was taking all of my strength not to just bury my head in his shoulder and pray that this whole moving thing was a dream. But i knew it wouldn't do me any good -- it would just make Ross more miserable. I couldn't do that to him.

He started playing with my fingers and he pressed his head into my neck softly, kissing my neck a couple of times when he thought no one was looking.

After a 20 minute wait, people started boarding the plane. I made Carly's family and my mom go on, and Ross and i stood staring into each other's eyes. A tear slid down my cheek and he wiped it away quickly. "Don't." he whispered, his eyes brimming with tears. "Don't."

I couldn't help it. Sobs wracked my boy and i hid my face in Ross's shirt. He wrapped his arms around me protectively and rested his chin on top of my head. I knew people were staring, but i didn't care.

"Let's not let this be our last memory together before you go," he whispered. I slowly stopped crying and Ross put his hand under my chin and pulled my face up to look at him. Everyone else besides me was on the plane already. The flight attendant looked impatient, but didn't rush us. Ross shot a quick glance at the attendant then whispered, "No matter how far away you are... I'll always love you." he put his hand in mine and i felt something cold drop into my palm. "I'll always love you." he repeated. He leaned in for one last kiss, putting his hands on my lower back. I slowly wrapped my arms around his neck and pushed myself closer to him. Ross's lips tasted sweet, like usual, threatening to throw my heart into a spasm, but there was a hint of salt this time. I choked. "Tears," i thought.

I didn't want it to end. It just felt... So right. "I shouldn't be moving," i thought. "No. I'm fine right... Here..."

Ross pulled away from me. "You have to go." he gestured at the flight attendant, who was now whistling and tapping his foot.

"No," i whispered, grabbing at his shirt. Ross's eyes filled with tears again. They ran down his cheeks at a rapid pace. He pulled away from me, and whispered, "call me when you land..."

"No, Ross, no, i don't want to go!" he grabbed my wrists.

"Jord, you're going. Whether either of us like it or not," his voice cracked. "Goodbye."

Our eyes locked and i knew this was it. "Bye Ross." i whispered. He squeezed my hand with the cold thing in it, which was now clammy from my clenching on it.

"Just remember."

i whisked away. If i had stayed any longer with Ross i wouldve begged him to let me stay with him. I probably would've ended up clinging to his legs and forcing him to drag me home. As i was walking away i thought about it. "No." i told myself firmly.