Chapter Seven: Big Bad

"It's here Ivan," Aira muttered as they turned down and into a dead-end street.

She clutched at her purse nervously, eyeing the driveway that headed up a steep hill. Like many houses in the town, trees and wilderness surrounded the bedsit – it was paradise to those who would come from the city to find quiet solitude within this peaceful community.

But those within this town whispered about a secret community – much a town itself – deep within the Taiga that was Russia's beautiful forests. No one really spoke to Aira. She was a Volkov and lived within that secret and forbidden community. The only people who made any move to befriend her were those who came from other countries or the city.

"Will you be okay?" Ivan asked. He wasn't very good at speaking English, but he did know a few new sentences thanks to Nikolai.

Aira nodded, "So mnoy vsye budet horosho," I'll be fine.

Ivan smiled softly and gently ruffled her hair. "Uvidimsya." See you soon.

Pride shone in Ivan's bright blue eyes. It made Aira happy that he was proud she was learning their language, while he and Nikolai worked hard to learn English. Without the language barrier, she seemed more connected to them – she felt like they weren't as different as it seemed.

With one final goodbye, Aira stepped out of the car and moved up the driveway. She knew Ivan would stay and watch, making sure she made it safely to the house before he left. As she got closer, she could hear the heavy metal music pounding from the speakers inside, and people she recognized from her college loitered outside the front, drinking, smoking, and laughing.

Ava suddenly exited the house, staggering down the dirt drive in a pair of red heels, jeans, and a crop top. Her smile was as beautiful as ever – even if it was more akin to a drunken grin. "Aira baby!" she squealed, throwing her arms around her, making Aira stagger back.

Her beautiful eyes found Ivan glowering from the car and that made her smile widen. "Hey Ivan!" she waved.

Aira turned and laughed as Ivan's face, even behind the car's tinted windows, went a deep red and he waved awkwardly. As he reversed out, Ava giggled and said, "He's the cutest guy ever when he's embarrassed. You should have asked him to stay!"

Aira clucked her tongue awkwardly and looked away. Ivan wasn't used to humans, so that plan probably wouldn't have worked out in the end. However, Aira could tell instantly Ava had a crush on the shy shifter. She just couldn't come out and say that Ivan wasn't exactly human without causing Ava to either laugh her off or think she was completely delusional.

Ava stared after the car for a moment longer before pulling Aira towards the house, bypassing a girl who was vomiting up copious amounts of liquid on the front steps. Aira held her breath, not wanting to puke herself.

"Babe, you clean up great! Look at you, you're fucking hot!" Ava quipped, marching them both through the house and only turning back to look Aira up and down.

Ava's eyes brightened as she pulled out some tequila, vodka, and juice. "I'm goin' ta' make ya' a mean drink," she slurred as she slushed the three liquids around in a shaker.

"Do you know everyone here?" Aira asked, trying to make small talk. She wasn't exactly an expert at talking to inebriated people.

"Nope." Ava smiled and then proceeded to laugh so hard she nearly lost the drink she was making. "No one. I don't know a single person here, but it's a party! B.Y.O and you're cool with me."

"B.Y.O?" Aira asked, unfamiliar with the term.

Ava was done with the drink and slid it to Aira, smirking when the poor girl nearly lost it over the edge of the counter. "Oh, sweetie, we have so much to teach you..."