Chapter 20

Moles P.O.V.

I watched Lea walk out with Victoria and their four guards, smiling silently to myself at the influences I had in the test Victoria was going to administer. As the door closed behind them, I turned my attention to Carter and Darrell. 

You could feel the anger radiating off from both men.

I had waited so long for this moment, so long to find the one weakness that would finally allow me to destroy the man who had unknowingly taken everyone I ever loved from me. I had changed my name, my looks, and my past. I carefully used my knowledge and training to wipe my existence from every government database known, creating the person I was now.

I did well at hiding my feelings of unadulterated hate for the people in this house. Being raised in a military home and then working for the CIA, I learned to wear a mask, to become someone no one would suspect. I had learned to become a chameleon, to blend in with my surrounding. And I was damn good at blending in.

I sat through the meetings, the debriefs, forcing down the want, the need to take care of matters with Carter quickly. I handled the jobs assigned to me, keeping my mouth closed as I looked over the files of those that crossed some unknown line with the man in charge. I did have to hand it to Carter though, he didn't kill for the fun of it like Victoria, or Miguel and Scarbrough. No, he may have enjoyed the release of anger as he tortured someone into giving him the information he needed, but he had to have a damn good reason for having someone out right dealt with.

I watched Darrell lay his hand on Carter's shoulder, speaking quietly to the man as he closed his eyes and clenched his jaw, balling his hands into fist at his side. It was no secret that he hated his mother for executing his father. And, it was also no secret that Victoria always resented having Carter, her selfishness shining through the moment she was able to put him into the care of his father or Mahalia and Henry so that she could leave and take care of business at one of the houses in Hong Kong, London, or Australia.

I didn't worry about being seen as there were others in the main room, milling about and confused as to why he would allow Lea to leave. I had watched Lewis walk out of Carter's office earlier, his face a mixture of emotions as he paced the room, his lips tight as he tilted his head my way in a terse acknowledgement of my presence.

I knew that he had started to feel a connection with the girl, hell most of the members had, including myself. Her spunk and the way she held herself, and her refusal to bow down to Carter was refreshing. And I could tell Carter was changing because of her, everyone could. He smiled more, especially when she was in the room. His need to go into the interrogation room was waning as was his need to fire off his Glock in the middle of the night while everyone else was asleep. And as I walked the halls at night, I would catch him standing in her door way, silently watching her sleep, the look of desire and love evident in his eyes.

Lea... The woman he broke his rules for. The woman he allowed to live. The woman he felt for. The woman he loved.

Lea... The woman that was his one and only weakness.

Lea... The woman I was going to use to break him into a million and one pieces. The woman I was going to use to destroy him and his organization.

I sighed softly and turned to walk to my room. I closed the door and strolled to my bed, kneeling and reaching under it to pull out a steel briefcase. As I keyed in the security code, I let my mind wonder to my parents.

I had never known exactly what it was that they had done that put them on Carter's radar all those years ago, what caused them to become his first kill at eighteen. I didn't want to. I wanted to remember them as the kind, loving parents I knew them to be.