Action

All throughout class, Dusty shot me curious looks. At one point when we were told to divide off into groups of two, Dusty immediately scooted his desk over until it was right next to mine.

“Do not talk to Collin about this,” was the first thing he said. I raised an eyebrow at him in response.

“And why not?” I should be able to talk to him if I pleased. Dusty should not have a say in it. Couldn't he see that his friend was hurt?

“Because it'll make things worse. Just don't, 'Kota,” he said, giving me a hard look, which caused me to roll my eyes.

“How would it make things worse? I'm just trying to help-”

“You'll help him by not bringing it up.”

I sighed, shutting my mouth. It was no use getting Dusty on my side on this. He'd never see my view- there was no use in trying to persuade him that I had to do this.

Perhaps Dean would understand.

I didn't talk to Dusty about Collin anymore, making him think that I dropped it. Had it been Regina I was discussing with she would have known I was a lot more stubborn than that. Well actually, she would have had similar thoughts about Collin and Drake and would also want to talk to him!

With my mind set, I packed my books into my backpack as the last bell of the day rang. I was going to talk to Collin immediately! But looking down into my bag, I found my cap from the school store. I groaned loudly as I pulled it out.

I had work today. Great.

I was leaning over the counter with a washcloth in my hand, rubbing small circles on the already clean surface. The school store was typically dead after school hours. Usually students got what they needed during school, where students took this as an elective so they didn't have anything to do on their off period.

The other kid I worked with whose name I'd forgotten again was sitting in the back by the cheese machine, tapping away on his 3DS, the nacho packages by him on the counter left forgotten.

We had a few customers today, but it wasn't anything exciting. It was only sometimes after school that students dropped by before leaving for their dorms or after clubs and practices. Other than that, they typically stayed away, not wanting to waste their day walking all the way over here just for an over priced hot dog or school supplies.

About two hours into my shift, I heard the main door open and seeing as the shop was around the corner, I couldn't really tell who was approaching until they turned my way.

I didn't hear any clacks, so it couldn't have been the shop manager. It just sounded like any other student.

Not really interested, I didn't stop wiping the counter in the same spot as I'd been doing it before, trying to look productive on a day where there wasn't a thing for me to do.

Surprisingly, it was Drake that had shown up. He was still in his uniform, messy as ever. Nothing was ever tucked in and his tie was never tied right. His sleeves were rolled up, probably wrinkled for life.

The corner of his lips twitched upwards as he looked down at my miserable position. He didn't say anything, though.

I sighed boredly.

“Welcome to the school store,” I said in monotone, “How may I help you, sir or madam?”

Drake actually let out a low chuckle. That robot actually chuckled.

“I don't think I've ever seen you look so miserable,” he said, his hands shoved deep inside his pockets.

I quirked an eyebrow. Drake was acting.. normal? What was this?