Cinderella Man Chapter 29

Why hello everybody.

I have another update for all you lovely people, and the countdown has begun for the final chapters. It really is all coming to an end!

Anyways, enjoy my beautiful readers, and I will be along soon to provide you all with another update!

Enjoy!

Sam's POV

I arrive at the church, fending off the paparazzi that are snapping away at every arriving guest.

As I arrive with Ashley on one arm and my mother on the other, I hear the paparazzi call my name. This shocks me. I never thought I would see the day that not only would the paparazzi know my name, but that they would want a picture of me.

I stand in front of them and smile, proudly showing off the women on my arms. Next, they start asking me questions.

"How do you know the Princess, Sam?" one reporter asks me.

"She's a good friend," I smile at him, being as honest as I can be. Emily really is my friend.

After the questions are over, I walk into the church, however, I'm stopped by Derek near the doors.

I let mum and Ashley go ahead of me before stopping to talk to the man that began all of this.

"Sam, I'm so glad you came. I almost thought you would skip it," he confesses to me.

"I was tempted," I admit, "but before everything, Emily was my friend. What kind of friend would I be if I didn't show up today."

Derek looks at me with sympathy, knowing how hard it is for me to be here today. I still can't believe that I am here. That I am a guest at Emily's wedding.

I look towards the alter and see James standing there, ringing his hands with nerves.

It's then that I realise how hard this must be for him too. He never wanted this either. He's in this to hide his true identity, the one that he can't bare to admit to the world, to his parents. James is at a lost too, and I can't help but feel sorry for him. If this is hard for me and Emiy, I can't imagine what it must feel like for him.

"Poor kid, having to hide his true self from everyone," Derek states, noticing my line of sight and speaking my thoughts aloud. "It must feel terrible to live in such fear of people's judgement that you would deny yourself your true desire." Now I know this statement is directed at me.

"It doesn't feel great," I admit.

"You know, it's not too late," Derek says. Is he kidding me, does he not see where we are.

"Derek, it's her wedding day. I think that's the definition of too late," I tell him, looking to see the countries finest dressed head to toe in their luxuries for this event.

"Not if in your heart, you know it's wrong. And you do Sam, you know this is wrong," he smiles sadly at me, him too turning to look at our countries finest.

I can't disagree with him there. It is wrong. It's wrong for all of us, well, except maybe for Emily's parents. They want her to have this life, even if she sacrifices her happiness in the process.

"Wait here a second Sam, I have something for you," Derek says before disappearing through a door behind him.

I look over to where my mother and Ashley are seated and notice that they are looking right back at me. I smile sadly at them and they return the favour before they turn to look forward. I'm happy I at least have them here today for support.

Derek emerges from the door, a guitar held in his left hand.

"I told the Queen to leave the music to me, I don't think she trusted me, but she accepted it." It's then that he holds the guitar out to me.

He wants me to sing?!

"I think it will help Emily today if it's you singing her up the aisle," he smiles at me. Now he knows he has me. I'll do anything to make this day easier for her and he knows it.

Reluctanty, I take the guitar from him and make my way up towards James. I wasn't expecting this today.

I thought I would just turn up, put on a happy and brave face for Emily, and then go home alone in my own sorrow. Now, I have to sing the love of my life up the aisle to marry another man.

I reach the front and look out towards the hoards of people who were honoured enough to be invited and see my mother and Ashley staring at me in confusion. I just shrug back in return and turn to look at the man that's getting everything I ever wanted.

"Hello Sam, it's nice to finally meet you," James greets me.

"You too. So, you nervous?" I ask partly out of curiosity and partly to make awkward small talk.

"I guess you could say that," he smiles, "this isn't exactly how I pictured my life to turn out," he admits.

Same here.

"But I bet the same could be said for you Sam huh? I mean homeless for several years only to fall in love with a princess and then have to watch her marry someone else, I mean you can't write this stuff," he laughs gently while I look around me in a panic, desperately hoping no one overheard him. This isn't exactly something I want broadcasted to the world.

"Yeah, I guess you could say that. I never expected to be living on the streets for most of my teenage years, just like I never imagined having a single at number one in the charts or falling in love with someone like Emily," I admit to this practical stranger, "but I guess that's the thing about life, the things you never imagine happening are usually the things that do."

Once again my gaze drifts into the crowd of excited guests, Emily will be here soon.

"A word of advice Sam," James says to me, a deep and serious look on his face, "maybe it's time you started fighting for what you really want." And with those words of advice, James turns to look towards the back doors, a sign that all small talk is over between us.

I let James's words run through my mind, along with Derek's. Am I really going to stand by and let this happen?

Just as this question enters my mind, the signal is given.

Emily has arrived.

Thinking of the first song that comes to mind, the song I wrote for Emily, I let my fingers start drumming the guitar and the words flow from my mouth.

I hear the back doors open, the crowds stand to their feet, the gasps of awe as they see her. But I refuse to look up.

If I look up, I don't know if they'll be anything stopping me from running to her and whisking her away.

I can feel her getting closer to me as I continue singing the song that was inspired by her, the song that describes everything I feel for her.

My curiosity is killing me. Even if it will kill me, I need to see Emily now.

Slowly, tentatively, I look up at her.

And stop singing all together.