The Med-Jack Experience

I listened carefully for more but it seemed that their meeting was over.
"A mistake," I thought to myself pathetically, "seems about right."

My eyes were drawn to the door when I heard footsteps that interrupted my train of thought. I assumed it was Chuck back with Clint, but I was wrong.

The all to familiar blonde boy entered not noticing me at first. He leaned against a wall pressing his hand over his forehead. Sighing, he slid down the wall, leaned his head back, and closed his eyes.

I sat on the wooden bed not knowing what to do or say but just observing this boy. My heart ached watching Newt so stressed. I wondered why his suffering bothered me the most.

All of a sudden, I breathed in a bit of dust. I began coughing, which disrupted the peace and quiet that was once present.

Newt's brown eyes flew open and he looked startled.

"Bloody hell," he said, "Do you usually sneak up on everyone like this?"

I could feel my face go three shades redder than it currently was from the lack of air.

"I'm sorry," I said coughing, "but do you always barge into rooms without even making sure they are unoccupied?"

I managed to catch my breath and cease the coughing. I looked at Newt who was still sitting against the wall. Newt wore a curious look on his face. His seemed humored by my words and actions.

"You know what, I'll just leave." I said feeling awkward. I stood but before I could take a step I felt dizziness set in.

"Shoot, I guess that fall did some damage to my head and sense of balance." I thought to myself wearily.

I could feel myself beginning to sway. I reached out for the ledge of the bed but it was too late. I was falling.

Newt jumped up catching me in his safe arms. "Woah there Greenie, you do remember trying to fight the infamous Gally, right?"

I smiled rolling my eyes. "I don't think I could ever forget that arrogant guy." I thought laughing to myself.

Newt helped me get back onto the wooden bed. My feet dangled over the ledge as I waited for him to get some medical supplies.

"I never got to thank you, Newt," I said sincerely, "I really do appreciate what you've done for me here."

Newt looked at me with a puzzled face.
"There's no need to thank me, I was just doing the right thing."

"Well the 'right thing' doesn't seem to be too clear around here.." I said thinking of Gally's words.

"Gally isn't so bad," Newt said reading my mind, "He just needs structure; we all need structure."

Newt came closer to me and began examining my face. He spoke quietly saying, "He means well, but don't let his words get to you." He touched the side of my jaw lightly and titled my head at different angles. I looked in his brown eyes; they were deep and full of emotion. Newt met my gaze for a second and then suddenly dropped his hand and gaze.

"W-Well, um, the damage doesn't seem to be too bad." Newt said a biting his lip nervously.

The blonde boy before me who I thought was so confident seemed to be blushing. A smile crept on my face at the thought.

After applying some medicine and bandages to the cuts and scrapes, I thanked the boy again.

"You really ought to stop thanking me," he said while putting away the supplies.

"You should probably stop helping me so much then." I said teasingly in return.

"Oh trust me, I plan to stop that immediately," he said faking a serious tone.

"Good," I replied, although I didn't mean it at all.

After a minute or two Newt cleared his throat. I looked at him with curiosity.
"Hey Greenie?" Newt asked cautiously.

"Yes." I said.

"Who's Isaac?" He said, studying my face carefully.

I began to panic thinking of something to say. "Um.. You see-" I began to reply but was interrupted. "Thank you Chuck!" I thought in relief.

Chuck's cheery voice rang as he entered the hut. "I found Clint, m'lady!" He said walking through the doors, "oh, I've decided that m'lady suits you a lot better than Greenie for now."

"Clint taught me that word." He said in a hushed voice motioning to the boy older standing behind him.

Clint simply nodded in agreement and smiled.

Chuck's eyes widened when he saw Newt standing beside me. He continued to look back and forth between us.