Chapter 39: Brutal Honesty

Chapter 39

Brutal Honesty

I lifted up my shirt to see my darkened ribs. At least it was in a place that was easy to hide. I grabbed my sweater off the bathroom counter and put it on. With a deep breath, I prepare myself to act like all was well and my touring lesson. My shoulder instantly dropped. I bet werewolves don’t have to pass math.

Exiting the bathroom, I went downstairs to find my mother just finishing up breakfast.

“Good morning, sweetheart. Hurry and eat we need to leave soon, so we can get there in time.”

I slumped down at the table. “This really isn’t how I’d like to spend my Saturday.”

“Well you’re still grounded, so I think it’s a perfect opportunity to get out of the house, because otherwise, you’re not going anywhere.” She gave me a warm smile as she set my plate in front of me.

“Thanks mom,” I muttered.

“Make sure you don’t forget any of your assignments. Oh and the list Mr. Phillips gave you on what to study for the test.”

I stacked the scrambled eggs on a piece of bread. “It’s all in my bookbag.” I started to eat as she wandered about the kitchen.

“Quint,” she called.

“Yes,” he called from the living room. “We’ll be heading out now.” She grabbed my plate, right after I finished the last stray piece of egg. “Do you mind picking Aden up at 3 from tutoring.”

I groaned and laid my head on the table. “Why does it have to be so long?”

My father appeared in the walkway. “Because it takes time to gage where you’re at, so they can help you. If we don’t start seeing improvement, you’ll keep having to spend your entire Saturdays there.”

“Quint.” My mother grabbed her purse. “Leave him be.” She tapped my shoulder. “It’ll only be for three hours next week.” She gave my father a kiss. “Three o’clock.”

“I’ll be there,” he replied.

She smiled and headed toward the garage. “Let’s be going, Aden.”

Slumping to my feet, I hurried upstairs to get my bookbag and went to meet my mother in the car.

“It won’t be that bad, Aden.” She put on her sunglasses. “I talked to your tutor last night, and I really think you’re going to like him.”

***

My mom parked the car and I glanced over at the sign. Franklin Tutoring and Mentorship Center, my shoulder dropped.

“This is not happening,” I muttered, rubbing my face.

“Enough,” my mother patted my knee. “Let’s go in and meet your new tutor.”

She climbed out of the car, and I dragged myself out as well. This whole thing was embarrassing. It was probably a good thing everyone already thought I was a loser at school, because this would have Mr. Valedictorian laughing along with his followers.

My mother opened the door for me and ushered me through with a smile. It wasn’t going to work today. My mood was too far gone to be salvage now. She walked up the receptionist’s desk.

The brown haired lady with gray mixed throughout looked up from her computer. “What can I do for you?”

“I’m Karen Perri.” She grabbed my arm and yanked me forward. “And this is Aden. He’s here for math tutoring.”