4

"That awkward  moment when you're trying to look cute in front of your crush but end up looking stupid." -Pinterest

***

I looked down at my desk, acting like it was the most fascinating thing in the world. Someone had written penis on it using a red pen so that it stood out in contrast to the light cream colour of its surface. I didn't notice it right away because it was on the right upper side of the desk.

 "I think Professor Doom told him to sit beside you. Fire in the hole, Parks, he's on his way here."

Fire in the hole. Ruth played too many video games. She also loved giving code names for certain people, just like Professor Doom aka Professor Layton.

I blinked. "Professor Doom is on his way to sit beside me?"

Little oxygen to the brain made me stupid. It was the broken AC. I was sure of it.

"Jesus," she breathed and didn't say anything anymore.

I smelled the soap first, clean and fresh, and then the unmistakable scent of a guy, earthy and just a little bit spicy... and just a little bit dangerous.

Was it possible to hear and feel your own heartbeat in your arms and legs and brain? Because that was what it felt like as he sat beside me, his body heat emanating from him.

My hand quickly covered the part of the desk where the word penis stood out like a Scarlet Letter. This was embarrassing. If he saw it, he would definitely think I wrote it and assume I was a pervert.

"Is something wrong with your arm?"

Not now, Ruth. I closed my eyes.

"No," I croaked. "I'm fine, Ruth. I swear."

"Why are you stretching your arm like that?"

I glared at her.

The only time that I needed my best friend to behave and she didn't. Ruth pulled my arm away, straightening it so that the word penis flashed like blazing lights in the dark.

One beat passed, two.

And then I heard him stifle a laugh.

"What were you covering?" Ruth whispered, like she was all of a sudden Sherlock freaking Holmes.

Kill me now. Please.

"Oh, s hit," she hissed.

Oh s hit, indeed.

***

A/N: OMG. What is the most embarrassing thing that happened to you while your crush was beside you? I will dedicate the next chapter to whoever voted and left the best comment in this chapter.

The Boy who Broke the Rules (BBR) is #41 in Teen Fic. Wow. Thanks for the support, guys! :)