Chapter 19... The Least Favourite Thing

CyberAlias: Hey there! How you doin'? I've been awol, I know. And no excuses... JUST APOLOGIES!!! And two chapters as a bribe for you to vote? I'll post them anyway, but you should show some loooooovvvveeeee.....

_____________________________________________________________________________

Pacing seemed to quell his chaotic thoughts. One step in front of the other helped put his thinking in order. Alone in his study, dressed in a simple tunic and black breeches Theodore pondered, and thought, and contemplated. His hair limp from the assault of his fingers hung in unruly waves around his jaw line. What happened at the ball? His mind kept asking, what did happen at the ball? He shook his head, this was stupid. Pacing will accomplish nothing, and in fact, that is what happened at the ball, nothing. Nothing at all-

A knock pushed through the fog of muddled thoughts. Standing in the door way, an amused smile on his face was Nathaniel, “Under normal circumstances, I would’ve just walked in, but I felt this was necessary.” He gestured to Theodore’s disgruntled state, his tunic was hanging out of its breeches, his hair was in disarray and the white of his eyes were beginning to red at the corners from being rubbed too often.

Nathaniel took one step in front of the other, to meet Theodore and clasp Theodore on his shoulders as he’d done so many times over the years. “You look well.” The mocking tone was hard to miss.

Theodore grunted in response, and tried to move out of the embrace. He had no time for his brother’s antics right now, not with all these confusing thoughts roaming his mind.

Nathaniel’s smile broke into a half grin, whenever Theo got like this, it was hard to pull him out of his moods, but it always served as a source of amusement for he and Wilson, for they loved to make bets on how long it would last.

“What plagues your thoughts this time?”

Theodore shrugged out of Nathaniel’s grasp. “None of your concern,” was the curt reply.

Nathaniel’s eyebrows furrowed, Theodore was never unwilling to speak to him. The grin faded slightly, “It must be serious if-”

Luna burst into the room, her feet bare and dusty, “Emily said we are to attend a ball tonight!”

Theodore turned sharply almost hitting Nathaniel standing right behind him. “That is- that is good.” He ran a hand through his stubble.

The motion seemed to draw Luna’s attention. Her eyes widened as she took in his haggard appearance, “You look terrible!” she exclaimed, rushing over to his side.

“Are you feeling ill?” she placed the back of her palm on his fore head to which he flinched slightly.

“No, not at all.” He wished she’d stop touching him.

“Are you quite sure about that?” Nathaniel interjected, “You look as though you’ve not seen the sun in weeks.”

Luna laughed slightly at Nathaniel’s vivid description, “You do know that he’s right.” She studied him through squinted eyes, “Have you been eating well?” she touched lightly at his abdomen.

“Have you been eating at all?” Nathaniel added as he settled himself comfortably on the couch.

“Did you sleep enough?” Luna held his whiskered jaw, turning it from side to side for inspection. Her concern turning from playful to genuine as she studies his almost bloodshot eyes and dark circles.

“Did you sleep at all? I know how you like to wander at night.” Nathaniel spoke from behind the pages of a newspaper.

“Good God!” Theodore exclaimed. The assault had become too much to endure. “Can a man have no rest in this house?” Whenever they teamed up to smother him, Nathan and Luna were unstoppable.