the hybrids (the end)

Somewhere in the world where beekeeping is prevalent

Standing in front of a large wooden box stood a very tall figure with a netted veil over his face. His thickly protected hands danced over a colony of tiny buzzing insects as he wiped up the golden sweetness dripping slowly from the spout. He looked up once or twice at the bees and shared his current feelings with them. He mostly complained about the hotness of the sun, but then went on and explained why. The man liked the bees very much, and found them a good source of company with their buzzing taking place of the humming electronics he was surrounded with back at his flat.

After he gathered a full jar of honey, the man, known as Peter Campbell among his fellow beekeepers, stood up and headed towards the main hut where they delivered all the honey to be prepared and packaged. On his way, he saw several of his superiors, racing across the field in a panic. Placing his jar of honey down between his feet, he lifted his veil and watched as they pointed frantically towards the office and trading expressions of sheer panic. Pursing his lips, the tall man made for the scene in his unhurried steps.

When he had arrived among the chattering managers, he asked casually, "What's wrong?"

"Someone broke into the safe. Stole a key to where we keep all the honey, and, of course, took all the money."

Stepping forward so that he could view the office, Mr. Campbell removed his hat and pulled out his mobile phone. Turning to his employees, he said, "Mind if I make a phone call?"

"You calling the police?"

"No, no, this has a few more digits than that." Walking a few away from the growing crowd, the beekeeper punched in a number and placed the phone against his ear. He peeled off his gloves as he waited and arranged his curly locks.

"Hello?"

"There's a problem. Someone broke in."

"Can't you figure it out?"

Sighing, Mr. Campbell said in an insisting tone, "John, you know I can. But you're my blogger. The world still needs to know I exist."

"But, you're Peter Campbell to them."

Closing his eyes and coming to a conclusion, Mr. Campbell turned to the crowd and announced in a loud voice as he removed his beekeeping uniform, "All right, everyone, stay calm. My name is Sherlock Holmes."

The crowd gasped when they realized who they have been working with.

"We'll get everything settled once my partner comes with me."

"Who's your partner?" a manager inquired. "Will he be any use?"

Smirking, Sherlock replied, "John Watson. Of course, he will." He returned to the phone and said in an excited voice, "Are you on your way"?"

"Of course, I am. I thought we were through with all this?"

"Well, you know how it is, John."

"No, actually, I don't."

Slowly looking up at the office with the door knocked down, the detective stated in his rich, deep voice, "We were born for this." And with that, he shut the phone off and headed to the new crime scene.

THE END