Chapter Sixteen

"I want to take you on a date."

My eyes snapped to Roger who was sitting on the chair opposite of where I was on the couch.

"What?" He caught me off guard, and I paused with my mouth open, my fork only an inch from entering my mouth. It was the next day. He'd just gotten home from work for his lunch break and we were eating some pasta I'd made.

He only smiled and my heart started beating faster.

"O-okay," I was still surprised.

"I'll get off work early tonight and be back at around five. Sound okay?" He watched me happily.

"Okay," I said more surely this time, smiling. I felt lighter.

He carried on eating his pasta as if he hadn't said anything.

We finished quickly and I took our plates to the sink. He checked the time, it was almost two.

"I've got to go back to work. See you at five?"

I smiled, giddy, "See you at five."

He walked over to the door and left, shutting the door closed behind him. I heard him fumble behind the door, locking it back up.

As soon as he was gone I ran over to the telephone and dialed Emilana's number.

After two rings she picked up.

"Emi!" I yelled frantically, "Can you be here in thirty minutes? And bring clothes!"

"Yeah of course, is something wrong?"

I was nearly jumping on my toes, "Roger is taking me on a date! In three fucking hours!"

She screamed on the other line, "No way! I'll be over soon!"

I hung up and ran to the bedroom. I took Roger's bluetooth stereo and mp3 player, playing some music. Thank god he showed me how to use it the other day.

I did a little happy dance as I threw my clothes off and went into the bathroom. Then I stopped suddenly and took a deep breath.

"Be cool," I said to myself.

I stood underneath the water and tried to relax a little bit. But no matter what I still felt the butterflies in my stomach.

I scrubbed my hair clean and decided to use some of my hair mask to make sure it would be extra soft. I took my time shaving everywhere. Who knew what could happen tonight.

I used a little bit of salt scrub to exfoliate my skin. Oh damn, I'm going to be as soft as a baby's butt, I thought to myself. I started dancing to the beat of the music as I scrubbed my skin. I couldn't help it, I just felt so excited.

After rinsing out the conditioner I shut the water off and wrapped myself in a towel. I turned down the music and walked into the closet, drying myself off and putting on my silky black robe.

Just as I left the closet a knock sounded at the door. I grinned, Emi is here!

I opened to door and waved her in, "Hey girl."

She had a pile of clothes in her arms, "Natalie, hello! I brought a few things. I hope you like something."

I laughed, "I'm bound to like something in that pile, here-- let me help you," I took half of the pile and closed the door behind her, locking it.

She smiled at me gratefully.

"Come on we'll just put it on Roger's bed."

We walked into the bedroom and plopped down with the clothes on his bed.