The Hunger Games: Chapter 3

Start from the beginning

I try to catch her attention, but her mind is elsewhere. Maybe with Prim. Maybe about the weeks to come. Maybe she just realized what she did. Katniss stares off into the distance, to our woods.

Haymitch leaves on a stretcher, and Effie gets back to business. "What an exciting day!" She straightens her wig. "But more excitement to come! Its time to choose our boy tribute!" Its obvious she's rushing through, embarrassed by her "fashion" error. She holds her wig in palce as she hurries to the boy's ball. The one that has Gale Hawthorne written forty-two times. Effie practically runs back to the podium. I don't even have time to worry about myself. 

"Peeta Mellark."

I'm relieved its not me. I don't even know the guy. He's not in my year at school. A blonde walks up. He's not tall like me, but not short either. He's well-built and clearly not from the Seam. I can tell he is struggling to hide his emotions.

I consider stepping up when Effie Trinket asks for volunteers. But I know Katniss would never forgive me, so I don't. No one else does either. This isn't unusual. The mayor reads teh long and boring Treaty of Treason which is required. Katniss and Peeta shake hands and Panem's anthem plays. And then, they're gone.

I head into the Justice Building along with others who know the reaped couple. Of course, Prim and her mother are there, but so is Madge. I wonder who she is coming to see. The Baker, his wife, and one of their sons join us. I recognize the boy as Riley, a guy in my year. I now realize who Peeta Mellark is. The Baker's second son. It makes sense to me, because Peeta looked well fed this morning. Well, more than others.

I let Prim and Katniss' mother see her first. I wait. Tehn, I decide to speak to the male Tribute. So, when no one is in his room, I go in. The blonde wears khaki pants, a gray button-up shirt, and black pants. He sits in a chair, crying in his hands. When Peeta hears me, he lifts his head. His blue eyes are puffy and irritated.

"Hi." I say.

"Hi." he replies weakly.

"I know your brother." I speak,trying  to explain the reason I'm here. But it's a lie. I don't know Riley personally enough to say bye to his little brother.

He nods. "Bale, right? Katniss' boyfriend?"

"We're not a couple." I answer almost too quickly. "And its Gale."

He nods. "Can I help you?"

I look at Peeta bitterly. No. I'm here to help you. To warn you. Katniss is fierce. A survivor."

He chuckles. "Trust me, I know." His reaction makes me wonder whether or not the reaping was Peeta and Katniss' first meeting.

"Watch out for her," I continue. "And, if by chance you kill her and win, I will personally come after you." 

He nods again. "Okay" is all Peeta Mellark says. I want to dislike him. But I can't. He's a victim too.

"I love her." I say as I walk out Peeta's temporary room. I pass the Baker and he gives me a nod, as does Riley. Like father, like sons. I go to Katniss now.

When I go in, my arms are open, and immediately she goes into them. She smells of nature. I don't want to say anything, I don't want to ruin this moment, but I have to.

"Listen," I say. "Getting a knife should be pretty easy, but you've got to get your hands on a bow. That's your best chance."

"They don't always have bows." Katniss replies.

"Then make one. Even a weak bow is better than no bow at all."

"I don't even know if there'll be wood." We both know there will be, though. One year, when there wasn't, people froze to death. We couldn't see anything that happened. Since then, there has always been some kind of wood.

"There's almost always some wood." I say. "Since that year half of them died of cold. Not much entertainment in that."

"Yes, there's usually some." she agrees.

"Katniss, its just hunting. You're the best hunter I know." I say.

"It's not just hunting." she counters. "They're armed. They think.

"So do you." I stare into Catnip's gray eyes. "And you've had more practice. Real practice. You know how to kill."

"Not people."

"How different can it be, really?" I say grimly.

Then, our time is up. I ask for more, but the Peacekeepers refuse. Katniss grabs my hand as the Peacekeepers take me out. "Don't let them starve!" she cries.

"I won't!" I feel tears coming, but hold them back. "You know I won't! Katnisss, remember I--" I'm cut off as the door slams, separating us. "-- love you." I finish in a whisper. But its too late. She'll never know how I feel.

I refuse to see Katniss get on the train to go to the Capitol. I couldn't bear it. Instead, I go home and weep. I don't care about anything. I'm numb. I believe in Katniss, but I still fear for her. District Twelve hasn't had a victor in 24 years. The odds are not in her favor.