Redamancy; Prologue

Prologue
Redamancy: (n.) The act of loving the one who loves you; a love returned in full

September 1st - 2012

"I don't know how to do it" she pouted, looking up at her boyfriend with blue doe eyes and attempting to make herself look innocent enough that he would do it for her.

"Kara" He sighed down at his beautiful girlfriend who was currently attempting to trick him into doing her maths homework. "You're never going to pass year 12 if you don't do your own homework."

Kara sighed, tucking her chestnut hair behind her ear and flicking through the multiple glossy pages of her maths book. Daniels hand came down on top of her and he gave her an annoyed look.

"You're also not going to pass year 12 if you find all of your answers in the back of the book like any other unoriginal slacker."

"Why did I let you force me into choosing maths again?" She frowned and turned back to the page of equations she was currently working through.

"Because you love me and you need it to get into University." Daniel said proudly, knowing he had just won against her. Over the years he had learned to become immune to the sappy doe eyes she gave him when she wanted something. He loved when she did it, but certain things she needed to do by herself.

"I don't need it" Kara argued, her eyebrows drawing together in confusion. "You need it to be a teacher, I want to be a publisher."

"You say that but we both know that you'll give up and eventually cave and go into running the old family bakery because you're stubborn and lazy."

She didn't even bother to respond, she just threw her text book at him.

"You know it's true you dork"

"Being a part of the family business is an honour!" she jokingly yelled. She did love her family, but Kara had bigger plans compared to being 7th Generation Australian Tucker by running the family business.

"Kara Tucker, owner of Tucker's Bakery, what can I get for you today?" Daniel mocked in a high-pitched girl voice and flicking a piece of imaginary hair over his shoulder.

"You suck, why am I dating you?" she pouted

He stood from her desk chair and crossed the small bedroom to sit behind his girlfriend on her bed where she was currently attempting maths. He wrapped his arms around her and took the pen from her hands, brushing her long hair to one side of her neck so that he could plaster small kisses all up the other side. Kara sighed and relaxed back into his chest and he smiled.

"This is why you're dating me." Daniel laughed lowly, hugging her tightly.

"You are correct Mr. McKay." They both laughed at her little joke. Daniel's ambition to become a teacher was something Kara liked to toy with, calling him Mr. McKay had become her latest obsession to annoy the boy, just as mocking her future Bakery-owner status was his favourite sore point of hers.

"Don't make me put you on detention" he laughed

"Oh no" Kara grinned, leaning her head back on his shoulder and reaching for his face "Not detention, please sir anything but detention, I'm a good girl"

He barked loudly at that remark, tears welling in his eyes as he laughed and untangled himself from her, leaving a chaste kiss on her lips before moving back to the desk to pack up his things. "I'll believe that when you finish your homework."

She frowned "Do you have to go?"

He nodded, heart squeezing in his chest at the frown on his loves face. "Unfortunately yes."

Kara frowned even more, she didn't want him to leave. "You can stay the night, my parents won't mind, you don't have to go Daniel."

"I do baby" He threw his backpack onto his shoulder and grabbed his black school jumper from the back of the chair he had been sitting in. He pressed another kiss to her lips and smiled reassuringly at her. "Don't look so sad baby, I'll see you on Sunday for our date I promise. You know I would stay tonight if I could but my mum has work so Amy will be at home alone and she needs her big brother to make her dinner."

Amy was reason enough for Daniel to leave, Kara knew he couldn't leave his 10 year old sister at home alone to fend for herself while their mother worked the night shift at the hospital.

"Drive safe, I love you" Kara whispered, kissing him again.

"I always do baby, I love you and I'll call you in the morning" he stood and walked out of her room, calling for her down the hallway "Do your math homework!"

"Yes sir!" she laughed, falling back onto her bed and staring up at the mural of photos of family, friends and Daniel that covered her roof.

Daniel never called in the morning.