Chapter 10

Obnoxious silence 10 – The Stares we Hold

“What?” I could hear Seirin’s basketball team stare at the large gym in confusion. “We’re playing on half a court?” from my spot in the middle of the group I could feel the tension rising around me. While I wasn’t a sports fanatic I knew this was an insult to Seirin and its players.

“Ah, you’re here.” The chubby Kaijo coach spoke boredly, “Nice to meet you. We’ll be playing on only this side of the gym, you don’t mind do you?”

Looking around the gym I could tell that the hoops Seirin was going to use were probably not up to par with the main hoops, and past the net that was dividing the gym into two, the rest of Kaijo’s basketball team was practicing like we weren’t even here.

“Nice to meet you too.” Riko looked a little apprehensive, “And what do you mean?”

“It’s just like you see.” The coach didn’t put much effort in his explanation. In fact he looked like he just woke up with his unflattering stubble and crumpled off-white polo. “Today’s match is just a light warmup for our team. But the club members that won’t play just won’t see anything worth learning by just watching so… In order to not waste their time, the other members are going to practice as usual.”

The tension continued to grow and the only thing I could do was glare that the coach with my pink and blue eyes.

“But even though I say it’s a warmup. It’s still our regular members. Please don’t get yourself defeated by triple the points.” After the coach finished his mockery, Kise went over to the bench and started to put on his basketball uniform. “Why are you putting on your uniform?” the coached asked his star player, “Kise, you won’t play!”

‘What?’ I couldn’t stop my head from tilting to the side as Kise and his coach talked to one another.

When they were finished, Kise turned to us and spoke some cold words. “If you can’t even make me play in this match… You’ll have no right saying that you want to take down the ‘Generation of Miracles’.”

‘Oh…’ I stared blankly at the blonde in front of me, ‘He’s back.’ Walking past him I took a seat on one of the benches with Ms. Ochiwara by my side.

Tyki-kun… Are you okay?” Ochiwara asked, worry evident in her eyes.

“Y - Yeah…” I gave a weak smile, “It’s just… I – I don’t know who this Kise is… He’s nothing like the guy I consider to be one of my best friends. He’s a total stranger…”

“Let the practice match between Kaijo and Seirin begin!”

~~

‘Holy shit!’

 I couldn’t help but stare at the court in amazement and horror. I knew Seirin’s team shouldn’t be underestimated… But this is ridiculous!

“Oh my!” Ms. Ochiwara gasped as she stared at the scene in shock. Seirin just scored the first point of the match, and while doing so, Kagami… Kagami broke the hoop right off the head board.

“Sorry for breaking your hoop, but since we can’t play like this, could we use the full court?” It was Kuroko who spoke in his wonderfully monotone voice while the coach looked about ready to go ballistic.

Reluctantly the coach agreed and the gym got set up so the full court could be used. And as everything was getting set up I jogged over to the towering red head with a smile on my face.

“Kagami-kun” I signed to the team’s resident monster, “That was amazing!”

“What?” Kagami quirked an eyebrow at me, “Me breaking the hoop?”