Chapter 2: Umbrella Beach

Chapter 2

Umbrella Beach

The next morning i woke up to my phone ringing. I groaned and picked it up, then seeing that it wasn't Carly, who was the only person who actually ever called me, i sat up straighter and hit the answer button.

"Hello?" i croaked. "Em Em..." i cleared my throat loudly.

"Hiya! Jordan? It's Ross!"

"Ross?" my eyes grew big.

"Yup! So hey, i was wondering, would you like to hang out sometime today?"

I was still in shock that he had actually called me.

"Um... Jordan?" Ross sounded nervous.

"Yeah? Sorry. I.. I just woke up," i stammered. "Sure! I'd love to hang out!"

"What time and where?" he asked. i could tell by his tone that he was relieved i had actually started talking.

"Oh.. It's really up to you. Anytime and anywhere, really! Except i have to be back by 7 -- my friend is coming over and we are going to watch One Direction video diaries!"

"Oh ill get you home before the clock strikes seven! Can i pick you up in an hour? Our destination is gonna be a surprise."

I smiled and thought it over. "Sure, that sounds great!"

"Okay! Oh... And wear a bathing suit."

"Ok! See you then!" and i hung up.

I called Carly and told her everything. She freaked and announced that she'd be over in six minutes, no more no less. Carly does not lie. Within forty minutes i was as pretty as I'll ever be. Carly had attempted to straighten my hair to no avail, so instead she went with a french braid across the side of my head that ended in a ponytail. I put on my bright yellow bikini and Carly made me wear a patterned polka dot cropped tee over it, with a pair of short jean shorts. A touch of pink lipgloss completed the look -- no makeup since i hate all waterproof makeup, and the fact that Ross had said to wear a bathing suit meant that i would most likely be getting wet. Carly gave me a hug and ran out of the house, leaving me to wait for Ross by myself. Ross arrived 3 minutes early (yes, i was counting), and he had on a pair of neon pink board shorts with a hollister shirt on. He was wearing light brown flip flops, which i found strange since i was also wearing light brown flip flops. He smiled at me and said, "You dress up nice."

I blushed and said, "Oh this? Carly is really good with clothes and makeup and whatnot. This isn't dressed up enough for her!" i giggled nervously and looked at my feet.

"Well, i think you look nice," Ross said. He smiled then offered me his arm. "Shall we go?" i nodded then shouted, "Bye mom!!!!!!" then i realized that she had had to go to work early that day, and i blushed. Ross walked me down the front steps and to his car. He came over to the passenger side and opened the door for me, then he walked back to his side and we started driving. It took forty minutes of random conversation until he said, "Ok. We are almost there! In a few minutes I'm Going to tell you to close your eyes, ok?"

"Okay," i smiled at him. That smile of his was seriously dazzling. And his eyes... Oh. I could stare into them forever. I spent the next four minutes thinking about things like these when Ross suddenly said, "Ok jord -- can i call you jord? -- Close your eyes now!"

I laughed. somewhere in between me laughing and thinking about how wonderful his hair must smell, and closing my eyes, I'm pretty sure i gave him a little "Sure!".

"Can i open my eyes yet?" i asked, getting impatient.

"Count to 12 and ask again," Ross said.

"1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6...," i thought. "... 10, 11, 12."