Chapter Six

After the conversation with Cecil was done and over with, Larry sighed, leaning in the front seat of the car and closed his eyes before pulling out his phone and dialling a number and after a few rings a tired voice could be heard on the other end, "Hello?"

"Hey, Em, did you find anything regarding Ahk?"

A sigh could be heard followed by a slight pause before she spoke up again, "Well yes and no, just information where he was found, why the tablet was given to him before ascending the throne. Good news is...I found out where Ahkmenrah's parents are."

"Yeah, so did I, and you'd never guess who I had a conversation with."

"I can only imagine..."

"Cecil Fredericks."

"Bullshit!" She exclaimed, "Seriously? Is he the one who told you where his parents were located?"

"Yes. He was." He sighed, rubbing at his face irritably. "Cecil mentioned something that when Ahkmenrah and his folks were dug up the locals there said that whoever disturbs the tomb that the end would come."

"The end of the world?"

Larry paused, licking his lips before talking in whisper, "...The end of the magic."

"Well, what are we going to do?"

"We have to take Ahkmenrah and the tablet to England."

A pathetic laugh could be heard on the other end, "How the hell are we going to convince McPhee to allow us to do that? Especially after what took place the other night. He'll probably laugh in our faces."

She had a point.

What were they going to do?

"We have to do something, Emma. If we don't..."

Neither one didn't want to finish that statement, and neither one didn't want to think of what would happen if they couldn't do anything to save their friends.

"Okay." Emma sighed, "Well, it's too late to be talking to McPhee now, considering our shift starts in a few hours, but I'll get ready and head over to the museum as we need to speak to Ahk about this."

"Yeah. I'll meet you there."

"Yeah, bye." Once the line on the other end went dead, Larry leaned his head back and sighed, running his fingers through his slightly greying hair before starting the car and pulling off from the curb and onto the street.

xxx

As the sun began to set, Emma sat at the lobby, buds in her ears and Owl City's Shooting Star softly played. Her head had a dull ache and she rubbed absentmindedly at her temples in an attempt to stave off an actual headache from forming.

A second later a warmth filled the museum and then a hand was gently placed on her shoulder, prompting Emma to open her eyes, she did so, eyes looking up into the concerned faces of Sacajawea, Ahkmenrah, and Teddy.

"Everything alright my dear?" Teddy asked in a low voice.

His question received a hesitated head shake as she sat up and removed the buds from her ears and turned off her MP3. "Honestly Teddy? No. No it's not and right now," She looked to Ahkmenrah then, "We need to talk."

Ahkmenrah's heart skipped a beat at the tone in which she spoke to him. He paused a moment before nodding to the staircase. "Let's go back to my exhibit then."

She nodded, her heart feeling a bit heavy as they wordlessly went to Ahkmenrah's exhibit, trying to ignore the look of worry on his young face as they stopped in front of his sarcophagus, her eyes snapping up to the tablet and feeling her eyes watering up again upon noticing that a little less than half was now green. She gritted her teeth in an attempt to stop her lips from trembling when she felt Ahk put a hand on her shoulder and giving a gentle, reassuring squeeze.

"What is troubling you?"

She hesitated a moment, not really trusting her voice, but the pained whisper she uttered caused Ahk's heart to drop. "I don't want to say goodbye."

"What are you talking about?"

She gestured to the tablet, "Dad...dad went to see Cecil regarding the tablet and he said that when he was there during the excavation of your tomb that the locals said; the end will come. Ahk...what if...what if we can't stop this? What happens if this is the last time we'll..."

The Pharaoh was speechless, unsure of what to do as he watched Emma break down, her shoulder's shaking as she leaned her head against her arms, stifling her sobs. Ahk sat down beside her and wrapped an arm around her, and grabbed one of her hands and rubbed the back of her hand, giving a reassuring squeeze as he spoke softly to her, "We shall figure this out."

She lifted her head and before she could Ahk removed the remaining tears from her face. "S-sorry."

"For what?"

"Breaking down like that, it must seem childish and self-centred doesn't it?"

"What? No." He said, jumping to crouch in front of her, taking her other hand in his. "You are worried for our well-being and there is nothing self-centred about that whatsoever. You have a kind and gentle heart."

"Thanks..."She nodded as she received a small smile from the King before continuing on. "Now, is there anything else that you and the Guardian of Brooklyn have found out?"

"Yes." She replied, "Your parents are at the British Museum."

His expression brightened considerably when she mentioned this. "That is fantastic, we must go to England."

"Ahk, there is a small problem with that..."

"What would that be?"

"McPhee." She said in a deadpanned voice, "I don't think he'll approve of us taking away the tablet and a four-thousand year old mummy to fix the tablet when he barely knows that it's actually magical."

He thought for a moment, "So what is the plan?"

She shrugged, "Dad is going to speak with him in the morning to request permission to take you to Britain."

"I pray to the Egyptian Gods that it works."

"Same here." She shook her head and gave a half sob, half laugh as her eyes watered again, "If he doesn't..."

"Do not think about that."

"I can't help it Ahk." She whispered. "I had lost a few great friends already...I don't-I can't...I'd rather not say goodbye, not again, not to all of you who mean the world to me...I..."

"Emma." Ahk's voice cut through, causing her to sigh softly. "Stop."

Her mouth clamped shut.

"Look at me."

She did so after a moment's hesitation.

"If it so happens that McPhee doesn't trust your father's word, I shall show convince him otherwise, divulging him the secret of the tablet. We will not bid our farewell under these circumstances, I will not allow it. Do you understand? Good. Do not give up, Emma."