Chapter 5: Kiplin and Lottie

The fine pixels that made up the Pokémon lab formed smooth, realistic shading. I touched it and whether it surprised me or not, the wall was smooth. It was taller than I anticipated. Reaching two stories at least, the lab towered over my head.

Lamia walked us into the lab, waving cheerful hellos as we passed other lab workers.

“How do you know all these people, Lamia?” I asked.

“Oh, I work here with professor Birch. Ever since I got attacked by a gang of Poochyena, I think that going out and training is scary.” She rotated her arm to reveal faint claw scars. “This way, I can still be around Pokémon, and they’re much better behaved!” We went up a flight of stairs, and the man who I assumed to be Professor Birch waved at us.

“Hello Lamia,” He turned our way, “Who have you brought to me today?”

“I’m Aspen, and this is Zeke.”

"I see! So you must be here to get your starters!” he gestured with his hand, “Follow me.”

We did. He guided us into his office, where in a large round machine; pokéballs were sitting, slowly rotating in their cradle. He pressed a button, and the lid opened with a small burst of steam.

“I’ll send them all out, and you can get to know them. Is that okay?”

I nodded and assumed without looking that Zeke did the same, because the Professor grabbed each of the pokéballs, and with a different colored burst of light each, the Pokémon were released.

My eyes immediately locked onto Mudkip, my favorite starter. I squealed, and skittered over to him, ignoring the other two. Zeke laughed at me as he crouched down to pat the other two heads. “Don’t worry guys, you’re cool too,” He said. The Torchic, who first huffed and ruffled her feathers, calmed down at Zeke’s touch. The Treeko, however, squirmed from his grasp. “Well then,” Zeke protested, “I won’t touch you.”

Professor Birch sighed, “Yeah, that little guy won’t open up to any trainer but Lamia. It’s quite a shame.” The Treeko scampered over to Lamia, and clung to her leg.

“Why don’t you just take him, Lamia?” I asked, “Since he likes you so much.”

Lamia sighed and patted his head carefully. “I just don’t think that he’d have as much fun with me, then with a trainer… Being cooped up all day… It can’t be good for him.” She smiled somberly at the Pokémon at her feet, and turned to smile the same way to us.

The Professor looked at her questioningly. “Is that the only reason, Lamia?” She nodded silently, “Well, that’s ridiculous! This little guy really likes you, and so long as he’s with you, he’ll be happy. Don’t you see? If he goes off with another trainer, he’ll just be sad.” The Treeko cooed his name in agreement.

Zeke stood up with the Torchic in his arms, “Please, I don’t mind. I’m already attached to this little cutie.” He scratched the top of the Torchic’s head, and she peeped.

“And Mudkip is always my first choice,” I added, clutching the little guy to my chest.

Lamia’s eyes become watery as she looked down at her Treeko. He climbed up, and rested around her neck. “Can I… really?” Professor Birch nodded, and with that Lamia burst into tears of joy. She excused herself, embarrassed, and Treeko scurried after her.

“How adorable,” I said, smiling.

The Professor handed us each a pokédex, and five pokéballs. “Good luck!” He shouted as we left.

Once outside, Zeke and I released our newest companions. His Torchic ruffled her feathers; my Mudkip ran up to me and nuzzled my leg.

“Are you going to nickname her?” I asked. “I’m going to name mine Kiplin.”

He smiled, “Cute. I was thinking Lottie for her.” Lottie peeped cheerfully, and Zeke chuckled. “Yep, Lottie it is.”