Directive

"I need your eyes." Natasha didn't bother with a greeting as she swept into the gym. Clint winced at the sudden fracture of silence. But, judging from her obvious tension, he abandoned his solitude without complaint, tossing his knuckle guards on the bench beside him.

"What's going on?"

Natasha paused, still typing away on her phone. Clint cleared his throat, shifting his weight in anticipation. Finally, she tucked her phone away and her grey eyes met his blue ones.

"I have a problem. It'll be delt with quickly, but I need you there to help keep things clean. Do you remember a few years back when Fury had me tear apart that corrupt jewelry chain here in Manhattan?"

Clint smiled. "Yeah. I remember you left a dozen of them locked in a shipping container hanging three hundred feet over the port. Law enforcement had a hell of a time getting them out."

Natasha didn't smile.

"I was just contacted by John Madrio. He knows I'm here, in the tower. He wants to meet and introduce me to someone. I don't like it."

Clint nodded. "I have your back. What's his ETA?"

"Eight o'clock. Stay ghost."

Clint scoffed, grabbing his jacket and tossing it over his shoulder.

"Come on, Nat. It's not my first rodeo."

She smirked and followed him out of the gym.

********************************

"Welcome home, kiddos." Tony met the soldiers at the front desk on the ground floor of the tower. Steve nodded in greeting. Bucky simply hefted his duffle higher on his shoulder. He and Tony engaged in a subtle stare down that Steve didn't miss.

"So where are we staying, Stark?" Steve couldn't help the clipped tone in his voice. This whole move had become an ordeal. And frankly, he was done. Tony tore his gaze from Bucky and regarded Steve with an arched brow.

"JARVIS. Show these boys to their rooms."

"Yes, sir."

Bucky marched to the elevator, tension radiating off him like steam. Steve curtly nodded to Tony and followed the winter soldier before the doors could slide shut.

The silence in the elevator was deafening. Steve chanced a glance at Bucky, who glared straight ahead. Steve sighed.

"Look, Bucky. This is the best place for you right now. At least until we get some answers. And Stark can help us get some. He's not that bad... Once you train your brain to filter him out." Steve felt his argument fall flat before he even finished stating it. He frowned at the floor of the elevator.

Bucky said nothing.

"Captain, your room will be the second room to the left. Mr. Barnes, yours will be the third to your right. Mr. Stark has ensured that this floor is completely vacant to cater to your privacy." The AI spoke as the elevator came to a stop and the doors slid open, revealing a bare, but comfortable hall.

"Thank you, Jarvis." Steve looked to Bucky for a reaction. Bucky maintained his blank expression exiting the elevator. Steve groaned internally, and followed his friend down the hall. He hesitated at his door, watching Bucky disappear through his own, slamming the door behind him. Steve opened his door and glanced around. Everything was very simple, yet luxurious. Plush, cream colored carpet. Smooth, dark wood walls. Matching furniture. A bed, nightstand, dresser, desk, and chair. An overwhelming view of Manhattan dominated the room with floor to ceiling windows on the far side of the room. No decor. Steve dropped his bag unceremoniously on the bed and walked to the window. He stared at the hum drum of life below without really seeing it. He was picturing the city the way it used to be. Just as busy, but in a way, more comfortable. He had been out of the ice for nearly a year now, but looking around his city was no less painful. Everywhere there were reminders of who he was and what he had lost. He was, after all, the soldier out of time.