Chapter 3 ~ Getting Caught

The halls were quiet and very dusty. It seemed like no one else was staying here except us. But you never knew, anything could happen, and I meant anything. I learned that when I was eleven and it had stuck with me ever since.

I was still walking, about to reach a dead end, so I decided to turn back around. The floor was cold and I didn't even think of changing my clothes. I finally reached where Harry and I parted ways. Just as I was about to open the door, I heard a voice booming from downstairs. I felt my heart beat faster. Curious, I went down the steps quietly and stopped when I saw a head with their blond hair slicked back, wearing all black, and holding a cane with a serpent on the handle. It was Lucius Malfoy.

Damn. My night just got worse again.

"It has come to my attention that the Potter twins arrived here just a few minutes ago," I heard him say, raising his eyebrows at the old man that helped us with our trunks and room.

How did they know I was here?

He was scared. His eyes said it all. He looked at Lucius in fear. It was pure fear. But he wouldn't rat us out, would he? I didn't really feel like running again since I was pretty tired and also he was the reason I was here in the first place. I hoped he wouldn't force me to leave with him. Surely, Harry and I would put up a fight with them, and if we did, I was certain we'd get kicked out for the night and not be able to come back. Then, we'd really be screwed with nowhere else to go for the night. I didn't want that.

"Where are they, you old oaf?!" I heard another voice say. But this time, it wasn't Lucius. It was his son.

I rolled my eyes and let out a small groan. Not only was gonna have Lucius running after my arse, but I'd have his arrogant son, too! I might as well go warn Harry now.

I was going back up, creeping as quietly as I could, until I heard Lucius whisper something to his son.

Then it got quiet. Very, very quiet. I knew that something was up now. So I stopped for a brief moment, seeing the place pretty much empty now.

Once I thought everything was fine, I crept back up the stairs, hoping that nobody would hear me. But then I stopped, hearing Draco's reply. He was a really loud whisperer.

"I know. I see her, too. I'll take care of her. You can deal with the other Potter. On the count of three."

Oh, shit. I was dead. "One..." What should I do? Run? Get Harry? "...two..." Or just make fun of them as they fail to stun me. "...THREE! EXPELLIARMUS!"

The spell came flying at me. Luckily, I ducked just in the nick of time before the spell reached me. But as I ducked, I fell on the steps and got my foot stuck. I struggled getting it out when I saw Malfoy coming after me out of the corner of my eye. I managed to get my foot out, but then the blond haired boy started pulling on my leg, trying to get a hold of me.

I kicked Malfoy square in the nose and ran upstairs down the hallway Harry went. I hoped there was no dead end here, or else I'd never see daylight again. But I kept running until I did something very stupid. I tripped over my feet. But then I suddenly felt something heavy on me. Looked like I wasn't the only one who was clumsy.

But he wouldn't get up. He wasn't moving at all. I felt his hot breath against my right cheek, the cheek Lucius let his anger out on you can say. I felt his hand, his cold hand, brushing against my cheek. This was my opportunity to kick him in the groin and get away. But instead, I did nothing. I was scared to make a move, thinking he was gonna hurt me. But so far, he wasn't doing anything, and that really worried me right now.

"Get off of me," I told him, knowing that trying to struggle to get up wouldn't help me. "Just let me go. We'll be back at Hogwarts soon, so I'd like this one night without you or your cruel father."

He was quiet and still, his breathing slowing down. Finally, he got up and to my surprise he helped me up as well. His hand was still cold, and mine was sweaty from being nervous.

He wiped his hand on the side of his pants and looked back up at me. "You better not tell anyone about this," he said.

"Why the change of heart?" I asked.

"You may get this one night without us, but trust me when I say that this isn't over." He dodged my question. What a shock.

"What, you're going to bother me at Hogwarts? Like that's new information. That same threat is getting old now, Malfoy."

"This year will be different. I can promise you that."

I scoffed. "I'm sure it will."

"I mean it, Potter."

"Yeah, whatever you say."

He was about to leave when he gave me one last stare. "Seriously, don't tell anyone about this," he repeated.

Right. Because we couldn't have his reputation of a bad boy tainted by Max Potter, out of all the people in the world.

Still, it was at that moment I wondered why he would miss the opportunity to not only get the satisfaction of me losing to him, but also pleasing his father as well. Draco Malfoy was a complicated boy, very difficult to read sometimes.

I didn't say anything or move to his response. I stood there as I watched him turn the other way, heading back downstairs to disappoint his father. Just like last time.