Chapter eight Boundaries, or Lack There Of...

Chapter eight

Boundaries, or Lack There Of…

My head slammed into the window as we once again maneuvered over the weathered road towards Beaver Lake. Having taken the maximum dose of motion sickness pills, I was at least not feel nauseous. The massive bruise that was now forming on my skull was another story. I kept my eye on the window, hoping to see the lake and put an end to my misery. When the sparkling waters broke through the trees, I let out a sigh of relief. 

When we got there, my dad pulled up to the shed and handed me the keys. “I’ll be back at four. Something as last time.”

“Sounds good,” I replied, opening the door and getting out. 

“Alright, be careful Aden.”

“I will.” I closed the door and walked around the front of the truck towards the shed. 

The cloud of dust that washed over me, as I unlocked the door, signaled my dad had left. I grabbed my regular cleaning tools and headed for the water pump. With my bucket filled, I went to the first bathroom and yanked open the door. I stood there for a moment and stared at the clean floor. Even the used toilet rolls had been removed. 

“You’re here!” 

I didn’t have time to even brace myself before someone attacked me from behind. The absence of a shirt told me exactly who it was.

“Titus, we went over this Saturday.” I tried to escape his embrace, but it was useless, so I just stood motionless until he decided to let go.

He finally stopped crushing me, but kept a arm around my shoulders. “Don’t you like it? I clean it for you already.”

Staring at the floor, I tried to hide the fact my cheek were red from embarrassment. I didn’t quite understand why I reacted this way. Maybe I felt bad for judging Titus, when he really was a nice guy that need a friend desperately. I guess for the summer I’d be that friend. 

“You didn’t have to do that,” I muttered softly.

“I wanted to, so we’d have more time to hang out.” He took the bucket from me and dumped the water on the ground. “I even walked around and picked up all the garbage.”

“I still need to fill the toilet paper containers and check the fire pits,” I replied, unlocking the box.

“I already did the fire pits for you.” He smiled that same old grin. “And I can hurry and do all the other restroom if you want?”

“That’s alright. I feel bad enough that I’m getting paid for something you did.”

“Well then you’re just going to have to make it up to me.” He raised a eyebrow with a smirk on his face.

“I guess so,” I muttered, looping the rolls onto the metal bar.

“You’re taking forever.” He slipped his hand into my back pocket, took the keys, and grabbed the bag of toilet paper. 

“Titus!” I yelled, but he was already gone. I didn’t know whether to be mad about him running off with my keys or violating me. Either way I wasn’t too happy. After clicking the lock back into place, I sat down outside to wait for him to return. 

It took less time than I thought for Titus to come trotting back with a smug look on his face.

“See, I’m a lot faster than you.”

“Ya, ya, ya. Give me those.” I snatched the keys out of his hands and took the rest of the toilet paper from him. I marched back to the shed as Titus followed behind.