Prologue

Flashes of my parents kept entering my mind. I knew they would want me focusing on school, but I couldn't. Even though I had homework to finish, an essay to start, and newspaper deadlines to meet, I just didn't have the heart to do it all. I'd rather hole myself up in my room and listen to music while ignoring the boxes I still needed to unpack and ignoring my end of semester responsibilities.

Jacob was on my arm, babbling about an exam as he walked me to my journalism class. I offered my opinion here and there because I was only half listening. My mind wasn't where it needed to be. Or maybe it was. I wasn't sure.

We stopped walking once we reached the door for my newspaper class and Jacob faced me.

"Listen," he said, his brown eyes sparkling. "I really want you to go to that party with me tonight. I won't even drink. I'll let you do your thing and wind down and I'll make sure you get home safe."

My mind was stuck on the word home. I chewed on my lip, trying to figure out how to decline. "I don't know, Jake. I don't think my aunt would want me out late." How could I go to a party when my parents funerals were just last week?

There's a look of disappointment on his face, but he lifted my chin up. "I just want you to have some fun. You know, with everything that's happened...I just want you to have a good time."

I appreciated where he was coming from. He was a giver and I never understood how I got so lucky with him. He always made sure I was okay and even more so now. "I know. I just don't think I'm ready to start going out yet. Plus, I have a million assignments I need to catch up on and there's still some unpacking I have to do..."

He took my wrist in his hand and stared at my tattoo. He traced the heart and infinity symbol with his fingers then brought it up to his lips for a kiss. "I'm glad we got these together," he said. "I understand, babe. If you don't mind, I'm gonna go tonight. This exam has me stressed the hell out and I'd rather let loose than study."

Typical Jacob. Procrastinating and then hating himself for it later on. "Yeah, go ahead," I said instead of trying to argue with him. One of the things I had to learn to live with about him is his ignorance to his responsibilities. His priorities were a little twisted, but I couldn't change his habits.

Remembering the first time I saw Jacob, I felt butterflies in my stomach. We ended up with a few classes together freshman year. He was kind of annoying when I first started to get to know him, but he eventually grew on me and everyone seemed to want us to be together. When he asked me to be his girlfriend after one of his soccer games I immediately said yes and haven't looked back since.

The bell rang, bringing me back to reality. He raised his eyebrows before kissing my forehead. "I'll see you after school," he said as he turned and jogged down the hallway to his class.

I rushed into class and took my seat. As Mrs. Thomas was talking, I stared at my tattoo and traced over it just as Jacob had done. My parents were pissed beyond belief when they found out I got matching tattoos with him. They wouldn't let me see him for a whole month. I never told Jacob, but I kind of regretted getting the tattoo. Jacob proposed the idea for our two-year anniversary at the beginning of the school year and I jumped on it mostly because I wanted a tattoo just to say I had one. It wasn't like we got our names on each other's bodies. He had the same infinity-heart symbol on his forearm.

My parents eventually forgave me and Jacob and I could see him again. They grew to really like him once he started coming over for dinner more often. I even introduced him to my aunt Jade and my grandparents.

My mom liked Jacob simply because he made me happy. She also liked the fact that he was a captain on the soccer team and made relatively good grades. My dad liked him just as long as he didn't hurt me.