Two

When we got to the restaurant, I let out a sigh as I eyed the exterior design. I was glad my father agreed to come with us to dinner. He protested at first like he always does, but he knew he wouldn't survive the night without me cooking him a good meal before I leave. One of the factors that made him agree in defeat was the thought of William waiting for us outside the apartment. I would never get why my father favors William over my past boyfriends.

"Are you okay eating here, Dad? I don't want you to get uncomfortable," I turned towards my father and asked, feeling dismayed at William's choice.

My father was a simple man. These kinds of places always intimidated him, which was why he never came along with us whenever William offered.

"No. I'm fine. The place looks lovely," he replied with a weak smile.

I gave him an apologetic smile before facing William on my right, who I knew was listening to our conversation. When I looked at him, I pursed my lips in disapproval. He gave me a weak smile as an apology. I couldn't believe he was able to get my father to go to dinner with us in a five-star restaurant. Well, there's always a first for everything.

We got out of the car as one of the valets attending the podium opened the door on William's side. I stayed beside my dad, looping my arm around his as we entered the room.

I knew how out of place we would be, but I was wearing a pants suit since I came from work, which helped me fit in a little better than my father. He, on the other hand, was wearing his usual plaid polo shirt and jeans with boots. He looked too western in this sophisticated-looking restaurant where everyone was dressed in elegant clothes fit for a charity function for the rich and famous.

As the receptionist ushered us to our booth table, I sat down on the same couch as my father, leaving William to the seat across from us. I saw disappointment cross his face when he sat down, but he recovered from it when I looked at him with my eyebrow arched.

"This is someplace you picked, William. I think I'm underdressed," my dad stated, breaking my silent conversation with William.

I turned towards him with a comforting smile. "You look fine, Dad. You look like a royal southerner to me," I commented with a grin, trying to make him comfortable.

"You look fine, Mr. Peterson. There isn't any dress code for you to eat in this place," William added with an encouraging smile.

"Right. Well, what's good to eat here? Any suggestions, William?" He changed the topic and grabbed the menu, pretending to read it.

It's rare to see my father looking shy. I hid my amusement and lightly giggled to myself. I got the menu in front of me and started skimming through it.

It took a while for us to order since my father was confused with the French names and what they actually consisted of. When the waitress finished writing down our orders, it didn't pass me how she glanced at William in interest. I have been more aware of this since we started seeing each other.

"She was cute," I commented when I eyed the waitress back as she walked away.

"She was okay, but you are prettier peanut," my father said as he gave me a comforting pat on my arm.

I rolled my eyes at his statement, knowing his reply before he said it.

"I agree with you," William said as he looked at my father, and then glanced at me. His lips are tugged up into a smirk.

I rolled my eyes at his apparent way of currying favors from my father. I changed the topic fleetingly and talked about work since my father had always wanted me to give him updates every night. The flow of our conversation was light until our food came. As we were graced by our meal, our attention turned to our food, creating silence in our table. I kept some small talk while we ate to keep things from being too quiet.