Chapter Five

Chapter Five 

“Opi!” Starscream squealed excitedly when he saw the Prime enter the main room of Autobot headquarters. Optimus couldn’t help but smile slightly as all the sparklings rushed over to the side of the box like baby Earth canines would. 

“Ratchet made you a play room. Would you like to see it?” Optimus asked, watching the sparklings as they pushed each other out of the way, wanting to be first.

Knockout chittered a favorable reply and stared up at the older mech with huge red optics, Megatron grinned and hugged Optimus’s extended servo, and Starscream tried to figure out how to reply. 

“Yes?” he asked, unsure if that was the right word. Optimus nodded proudly and scooped up all three of the Decepticons. 

“You learn quickly, don’t you.” Optimus said, thoroughly impressed. No wonder Starscream was a lead scientist. He was programmed to be quick minded from the very beginning. 

“Yes!” Starscream squealed, squirming around as Optimus brought them to their new room. 

Three pairs of optics went wide when they saw how many sparkling toys were spread out on the floor. Optimus set them down, Knockout and Starscream grabbing the first things they could and sitting down to play with them. Megatron made a tiny sound and hugged Optimus’s leg. 

“What is it, little one?” Optimus asked softly, glancing down at the tiny silver mechling.

Megatron pointed at the toys and gave Optimus another look, as if to ask whether he was allowed to go play with them. Optimus nudged him forwards with one servo, telling the former warlord he could go right ahead. It was a room for sparklings, after all. Beaming up at him, Megatron scampered over to Starscream and sat down beside him, making a few clicks and chitters in sparkling talk as he pointed at the block building the Seeker had constructed. 

“They love their room, Ratchet.” Optimus said softly, turning to see the medic standing quietly in the open doorway. He made a huff, crossing his arms across his chest plating.

“It should have been for him...” Ratchet whispered, vocalizer hitching as his greenish blue optics watered with washer fluid tears. 

“Ratchet, don’t cry.” Optimus begged, feeling his mate’s sorrow across the bond. “It was never your fault.” 

“Optimus, I couldn’t save our own sparkling!” the medic hissed, servos on his helm as  a raging ache began to consume him. “These were supposed to be for Quicksilver and look who has the toys now! Decepticon scum! They were what killed him to begin with!”

“Ratchet, please...They are young and they need someone! Their pasts cannot cloud our judgement.” Optimus murmured, pulling the red and white mech close. “When they change back, you may fight them fairly. Until then, they are only sparklings.”

“How can you be so forgiving, Optimus?” 

“I must be. I am a Prime, Ratchet.” Optimus said, petting Ratchet’s tense back. He was never able to rest or relax it seemed. Ratchet sighed and leaned his helm against Optimus’s shoulder plating. 

“I can try for you.” he offered, squeezing Optimus’s servo in his. Optimus flashed him a brilliant smile, one he never thought he would see while the war raged on around them. 

“That’s all I ask.” Optimus purred softly, nuzzling Ratchet’s cheek. “I love you.”

“I love you, too. Now go get some rest. I want to get to know these little fraggers since I will be taking care of them when you leave on your mission tomorrow.” 

“Call me over the com link if you need any help. I will be close by.” 

Starscream noticed Optimus leave and let out a shrill cry. “Opi! Nooooooooo!” he mewled, toddling over on spindly legs, arms held out to beg the mech not to go.

“I will be close, Starscream. Ratchet will watch over you.” Optimus explained softly, turning to go before he had to listen to more crying. It always tugged at his spark to hear a little one cry. 

Knockout came over to the red medic, attracted to the color that was his. He held out an armful of blocks and squeaked, wanting Ratchet to play. Ratchet sighed and sat down, letting Knockout try and stack the blocks into some odd sort of creation. 

Megatron came over once he saw Knockout was having fun and offered up a toy car that looked just like Ratchet’s alt mode. That brought a small smile to Ratchet’s faceplate and he gently took the toy, opening the doors for Megatron before giving it back. The silver mechling sat down and studied the inside of the metal car, engrossed in the new discovery. 

“Starscream?” Ratchet called, looking for the Seekerling. He spotted him playing by himself with some model airplanes. Tiny wings tensed with nervousness when he heard his name barked from the other mech. “Come over here.” 

Starscream backed up, clutching a purple and black plane to his chest, optics huge with fear. Ratchet stood and Starscream bolted, hiding himself under a pile of huge stuffed animals. He didn’t forget how Ratchet had acted toward him a few days ago. 

“Don’t be scared...” Ratchet begged, his spark aching when he saw he had really scared the little thing. It might be Starscream, but he was just a sparkling as Optimus had said. He needed someone to care. “I’m sorry I yelled at you earlier.” he apologized, offering a servo to the Seekerling. 

“Where’s Opi?” Starscream mewled, starting to cry. 

“He’s busy right now. You’re stuck with me, kid.” 

Starscream curled up around his toy but watched Ratchet carefully, deciding whether or not he was going to trust him. After a few Earth minutes, Starscream’s tiny servo reached out and grasped Ratchet’s pointer and middle digits, pulling himself up. 

“That’s a nice plane.” Ratchet said softly, trying to tone his voice down so he wouldn’t scare Starscream. The Seekerling clung to the toy as if it were a lifeline, staring up at him. “I regret ever yelling at you. You’re more skittish than your older self.” he sighed, letting Starscream hold his servo as they walked over to Megatron and Knockout. 

“Starscream!” Megatron squealed, tackling him in a hug. Starscream giggled and rolled around with his former mate, the two somehow knowing they were connected still. Ratchet knew they felt a close bond and frowned. When would they return to their older selves? And when they did, would anyone have it in them to fight them? It was a huge unknown that no one was entirely willing to think about. 

Ratchet was pulled from his thoughts when Starscream let out a shriek, Megatron having bent his wing by accident. The silver mechling stared in horror when his companion began sobbing. The medic sighed and picked Starscream up. 

“Let’s see what the damage is.” he muttered, holding Starscream tight when he quickly bent the wing back into place. That got a short yelp from the Seekerling and some claws dug into the seams between his chest plating. “There you go. Not too bad, was it?” he said, smiling when he saw Starscream was returning the grin. He obviously felt better. 

“Ratch!” Starscream yipped, cuddling up with the medic without a second thought now. Ratchet gently sat down with Starscream still in his arms, rocking him a little as the other two played. 

“Already recharging?” Ratchet laughed softly, seeing Starscream’s optics were shuttered. 

Making sure the Seekerling stayed in recharge, Ratchet watched over Knockout and Megatron late into the night until Optimus returned for them. The Prime hid a smile when he saw the sparklings in recharge, pressed close against Ratchet’s side. 

“I did not encourage it.” 

“Good work, Ratchet. I will take it from here.” Optimus said, picking up the silent sparklings. “Get some recharge as well. You deserve it.”