Chapter 16

Mason

"Mason," says Rose grabbing onto me, "stop walking in circles."

"I can't," I reply continuing on what I was doing for the past ten minutes.

"You act like I'm not worried about her Mason," she suddenly takes on a scary tone in her voice, "you are not the only one afraid Mason."

"You don't look like it!" I practically growled. The way she moved away with a sad expression had me already wanting to hold her and apologize a thousand times.

"Because one of us has to be the strong one in this relationship," she replied before leaving the room.

I sigh already regretting growling at her. I hadn't meant to, it just kind of slipped out. I flung the door opened and followed her scent, down the stairs. She was speaking with another girl, and when I neared them both, they both tensed up.

"Hey," I begin, trying to keep my hands to myself, "I'm sorry."

"Go talk to one of your friends," she replies without looking at me, "I really don't want to talk to you Mason."

"But-"

"Leave."

I walk away and head to sit on a stool in the kitchen. Nice going Mason, my wolf was telling me. Thanks for fucking up.

A hit on the back had me jolting up. "What the f-"

"Language," Keith says, pulling up a chair, "there's kids here."

I nodded before sighing and placing my chin on top of my hands. Keith left but returned with a bag of chips and two bottles of root beer. He slid me a drink before ripping open the bag of chips and handing the bag over to me.

"We're good right?" Keith asked taking a sip of his drink. I nodded before taking a sip of my drink.

"So what's up?" he asks taking a few chips. I gave him the stink eye before answering.

"Besides the fact that my best friend is missing and my mate doesn't want to talk to me?" I ask sarcastically. "No, I'm absolutely fine."

He blew through his lips before patting me on the back. "You got it hard man."

"But come on," he continues standing up, "I don't plan on talking about feelings. I'd rather throw a football around."

I shook my head. "I'm not in the mood."

"Dude," he says, "this is unhealthy. Just chill a bit and stop worrying. They will find the Luna and your girl probably just needs some time with her friends. Hanging out with you is boring."

"Shut up," I joking state, shoving him. I stand up and follow him to the back where all the toys are stored. He grabbed a football just as I asked him a question.

"Since we're on this lockdown thing," I began, "where can we play?"

"The halls?" He suggests while shrugging. Heading upstairs we claim one of the halls as our own and begin tossing the ball back and forth.

"This is boring," I complain, "my wolf feels suffocated in this hall."

"Same here." We toss the ball back and forth before I slam the football down in annoyance.

"Hey, go long," Keith suddenly says.

Instantly knowing what he meant, I rush down the stairs and cross the living room jumping to catch the ball.

"Boys," one of the elderly women state, "not here."

"OK," I murmur annoyed. Right when I was kind of having fun, I just had to be told not to do the thing that was making me happy. Great.