Chapter 22

Finley’s P.O.V

I walked home after Eli and I parted ways, not really willing to go home and face my mother. When I reached my house, I could see lights on in the living room and I decided to sneak my way to my room. Sneaking past the windows where I could see my mother and father talking to each other, my mom gesturing wildly, I got to the tree that was outside my bedroom window and hoisted myself up into it, climbing slower than usual because I didn’t want to be found.

My window was unlocked and I carefully stepped into my room, turning to face the outdoors as I closed my window and locked it. When I turned around, I almost had a heart attack when I saw Luke leaning against my doorframe.

“Luke, what are you doing here?” I asked; hand over my quickly beating heart.

“I should ask you the same question,” he said, crossing his arms.

“This is my room,” I deadpanned.

“This is true,” Luke said, “But, that,” he nodded towards my window. “Is not your bedroom, and I would like to know why my sister took off and was gone for most of the day, like she usually is.”

This took me aback. “You know I leave?”

“Duh,” Luke rolled his eyes and stepped into my room. “I live next door; you don’t think I can’t see you from my window? It faces the tree too.”

 I was stunned. “Well, damn.”

Luke chuckled. “Don’t worry, little sis, I’m not going to tell on you. I’ve used that tree when I’ve really had to.”

“You have?” I asked. It seemed like all the secrets were coming out today.

“Yeah,” Luke said. “I’m pretty sure you know that I used to sneak out, like, all the time.”

“Well, I knew that,” I said, waving my hand in the air. “But I didn’t know you used the tree.”

“You have to get creative when parents ground you,” Luke said.

I shuffled my feet awkwardly. “So… can I help you with something?”

“No,” Luke said, smiling brightly. “But, just so you know, I like you with Eli, unlike some certain people we know. Don’t leave him, I need a cool guy friend like him,” Luke added.

I shook my head, laughing at my brother slightly. “You know, I think you only want me to keep dating him so you can keep Elike alive.”

As he was leaving, Luke winked at me.

…two days later…

My mom had never apologized to me, and I never brought up the subject, so we managed to avoid each other; me with school and her with work. When I came home, I would go straight to my room and not come out until I knew she was asleep. My dad worked the night shift, and Luke was too busy with Allie to pay much attention to me.

The first time my mother and I conversed since our big fight was today, about an hour ago, when I came out of the bathroom and she was passing it.

“Finley,” she called.

I winced and turned around slowly, facing her. “Yeah Mom?”

“I wanted to talk to you about a rumor I heard about your boyfriend,” she said.

I groaned internally and I really wanted to just leave. “What is it?”

“I heard from some of my friends,” she began. “And their children go to your school, and I asked them about Eli, and they told me that he was covered in tattoos.”