Chapter 1

University treated me well, and I had grown accustomed to walking through the tall gates of Glasgow University daily for the last four years. Of course, I'd miss university, but I knew I was ready for something more. I expected to fill out a few forms and have a job within weeks, but four months on and I was still waiting on the right job.

My lack of a job resulted in me lounging around the house most days, watching (crap) reality TV and eating a ridiculous amount of chocolate. Eventually, my mum got tired of me leaving piles of empty wrappers around her house and told me it was time to find a job. When she said that, I thought she was crazy. Did she not realise that I'd spent the last few months filling out hundreds of application forms and attending many interviews without any luck? She quickly clarified "a temporary job, Natalie." Something that may not be my ideal job, but something that would put money in my pocket and get me out of the house.

So... that's what I did. After flicking through the pages of our local newspaper, one ad in particular stood out to me. It was a housekeeping job. Let's be clear, I hate cleaning, but after seeing the impressive salary that could be mine, I couldn't resist. Within two days of sending in my application, I received an email saying that I'd have an over the phone interview the next day.

It's safe to say that the interview went well; my first day is today. I am supposed to arrive at the house for 3:00pm. After looking up the house on Google Earth, it was clear that the house was rather extravagant. When Mr Matthews, my future boss, emailed to say I had the job, he said that there was an extra room in his house that I could stay in for convenience. At first, this seemed a bit odd, but I thought I would at least give it a try. He explained that my working hours would be irregular - he holds lots of parties, I presume.

Having lived with my mother my whole life, moving out scared me. Despite most of my friends moving into their own flats or into student residency at uni, I had decided to stay at home. It was practical, inexpensive, and not once has she ever pushed me to move out. This job opportunity practically landed at my feet, and I decided that now was the perfect time to be a bit more independent.

Before heading to my new job, I'd arranged to meet up with Hailey - my closest friend of many years. Pushing through the tourists which occupied most of Buchanan street, I saw her waiting outside Starbucks for me. After greeting me with an excited squeal, she gave me a hug and pulled me inside to the smell of hot coffee.

Hailey loudly declared that she needed to pee, leaving me alone in the queue to order our drinks. Starbucks was surprisingly quiet for a Saturday, so by the time Hailey had relieved herself and claimed a table for us, the overly chirpy barista placed our two coffees on the counter. Too occupied with making sure my shaky hands didn't spill the contents of both steaming cups, I kept my eyes focused on the coffee as I walked. By the time I realised the error of my ways, it was too late. Head still down, I walked straight into something sturdy and tall. A startled gasp escaped from my mouth and my hands released their grasp on the two cups. Completely forgetting about the coffee, I looked up to see what I had walked into. My mouth formed a little 'o' as I looked up at the young man who I'd just ran into. With an amused look on his face, he bent down and picked up the now empty cups.

"Well..." he said as he turned round the cup to see the name written on it. "Natalie, it looks like you'll be needing another coffee"

Still shocked, I quickly squeaked "I am so so so sorry!"

"No need to be sorry; at least I know I'm not the clumsiest person in Glasgow," he responded with a smirk. I felt my cheeks flush as my eyes locked with his. Pulling his wallet out of his back pocket, he handed me a £10 note. "Have a coffee on me, Natalie. Oh, and try not to spill it this time"

Feeling flustered at the gesture, I spoke quickly "no, don't be so silly! It was my fault, and I don't even know your name. I can't accept money from a man who I practically ran over"

With a smile, he picked up my hand and placed the money in my palm. Closing my hand with his own, he leaned in closer and my body tingled as I felt his breath against my skin. "Let's not argue, Natalie... Enjoy your coffee and this time, please do watch where you're going." With a quick wink, he turned on his heel and walked swiftly out of the Starbucks, getting lost within the busy crowd outside.

I was left speechless. Did that really happen? I turned towards Hailey who was still sitting at the table I had not yet reached. Upon seeing my bemused expression, she grinned. "Well, he was certainly a pretty sight. Now, you sit down and I'll get the coffees this time."

When Hailey returned with our coffees, she began to chat about her current job. I responded occasionally with a nod or an appropriate small remark, but my mind was still on John Doe. I hadn't expected him to walk out so abruptly, and honestly, I was disappointed. Glasgow was a big city, and my chances of bumping into him again were slim to none. After Hailey wished me luck for my new job and headed off to do some shopping, I got in my car and drove home. I should have been wondering what my new job would have in store for me; instead, my mind was still on a man whose name I did not know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note:

This story needs A LOT of work, but here is the first chapter and I hope you enjoyed. Thank you for reading, and any feedback is very much appreciated :) x