Death Sight: A Will Castleton Novel: Chapter 1

Hospitalized after drowning during a rescue attempt, newly graduated U.S. Marshal Will Castleton is besieged by visions of a hulking executioner torturing a bound man. A perilous race against time leaves Will broken, unsure if he even wants to join the marshals. Escaping to his Michigan hometown, Will finds his father dying, a young woman’s ghost desperate to communicate with him, and a biker kingpin out to make a statement by taking out local law enforcement’s golden boy.

DEATH SIGHT is the first novel in the Will Castleton series, mixing crime and the supernatural. For a glimpse of Will’s future, check out THE CASTLETON FILES, featuring five adventures from diverse points throughout Will’s career.

***

Table of Contents

Part 1: Drowning

Part 2: Wolf Castle

Part 3: Ghosts of Green River

Part 4: The Death of Angela Procter

Part 5: Arizona and After

***

For everyone who read or downloaded

and enjoyed “Island Ghosts” before any of

Will’s other adventures were widely available

and encouraged me to keep going…

PART ONE:

DROWNING

1

The dead stared at him with dark, empty, accusing sockets that formerly held their eyes.

Will’s feet were rooted in a nightlit desert. A full moon. A dry, coppery odor to the air. Cacti. Rocks. Low dunes rising out of the ankle deep water. For the desert was also the sea.

One of him. Hundreds of them. Everyone who would now die because he was still alive. Everyone already dead who would come into his life. All the ghosts he would ever create, ever encounter.

 He could not make out the faces of most of the throng of shadowy figures. Those in front he recognized, however.

 They were the faces of an entire SWAT team, cops from several branches of law enforcement, still in their tattered uniforms. Horribly disfigured, all of them.

 Only half their flesh still on their raw faces. Limbs missing. Their eyes infinite wells of unfathomable dark.

 He knew the corpse, the spirit that stood at the forefront. Cummings. A decent, if overbearing cop in life. Will could see Marshal Cummings’ tongue through the hole in his flesh, through the gap in his teeth, his jaw. The tongue moved like a thick worm as Cummings said, “Look down, Castleton.”

The water wasn’t water. It was blood.

“The tide will rise,” Cummings said. “You’ll drown in an ocean of blood before you’re through.”

Then Will would realize he was already covered in the stuff.

***

The vision would wash over him, even when he was wide awake.

Will would come out of it screaming.

Thus, the powers that be sent him to see Smith.

***

“The blood and the darkness,” Will said. “The death. The outright evil.”

“Not what you signed up for,” Smith said.