Chapter 2

Chapter 2

          As soon as I got home, I ran all the way upstairs to my room.  Throwing my bag on my bed, I plopped down on my lime-green desk chair and brought my laptop to life. The screen glowed and I opened my email account. I searched through my contacts list and found the one I wanted. I requested a video chat and waited. "A minute later, a window popped up and a face came into view. "You rang?"

            I sighed in relief and grinned. "Victoria."

          The girl grinned back, revealing perfect white teeth. Her strawberry blonde hair lay in perfect little curls. "What's up? It's got to be really important if you're willing to call me in the middle of the night." I groaned, forgetting the time difference between New York and Paris.

          "I'm so sorry," I apologized. "I totally forgot. Did I wake you?"

          She laughed. "No, no, it's okay. I was already awake. Mom and Dad are having another one of their little 'gatherings.' I can't sleep. They're too loud."

          The sounds of laughter echoed in the background. She raised her eyebrows at me in disbelief and threw her hands up in the air. "You see? And that's with the door closed. I might as well just join the party."

           I bit my lower lip, trying to contain my laughter. "Then why don't you just join the party?"

           She looked at me as if I was crazy. "And do what? Dance the cha cha slide? What could I possibly have in common with a bunch of old people I don't know? Let alone even find what to talk about. Besides, last time I decided to join one of their parties . . . Oh, I don't even want to think about it. Amber, no matter what happens, do not, and I repeat, DO NOT, EVER, be in a room with a group of men and women who have had more champagne than their bodies can handle."

          That did it. As soon as I erupted into giggles, I couldn't stop. "Oh, okay. Go ahead. Laugh at my horrifying experiences with champagne. I'll never be able to look at a champagne bottle ever again," Victoria said.

          I clutched my side and laughed even harder. "I'm sorry." I tried taking deep breaths to calm myself and stop the flow of giggles that fell from my mouth.

          Victoria Greenwood. A bright, cheerful girl with an amazing sense of humor. She's probably the only person I have ever considered to be a friend. I met Victoria two summers ago on a trip to Paris. My father, being the founder of the largest investment company in America, was always invited to business parties all over the world. My mother and I, naturally, always accompanied him. The party that we had gone to was being hosted by Victoria's parents.

          I felt self-conscious of myself compared to Victoria. She was so pretty compared to me. She wore a bright blue strapless dress that complemented her piercing blue eyes and black ankle boots. Her skin was a perfect shade of caramel and her eyeliner and mascara were evenly applied.

         I, on the other hand, wore a peach colored, spaghetti strap dress with pale pink ballerina flats. My dark brown hair had been pinned up in a loose bun and the only makeup my mother had allowed me to wear was pink blush and cherry flavored lip gloss. Victoria could pass for an adult while I felt like a child . . . And we were the same age. 

          When my mother told me about another girl being at the party, I was ecstatic. Now, I held my head down, and avoided eye contact. But to my surprise, she came bounding over, her arms open wide to give me a hug. I gasped as her skinny, and surprisingly, strong arms enveloped me in a warm hug, almost lifting me off the ground. I was too shocked to respond.